You can type here any text you want

Head gasket picks for 3.840 bore

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickboy

Champion irons
Flat decks and heads
head studs
goal=mid to high 6's/10's
25 lbs boost +
25 deg timing
steel crank stock stroke
109 block

Looked at Felpro 1000's but the bore is too big

Mitch

curious

I would think the Felpro 1000 would work. Depending on how much chamfer is @ the top of bore.

The cometics will work fine, that is what I use. It is ok to use if they are bigger than the bore, you just don't want one that is smaller than the bore. You are not going to find alot of different bore sizes in head gaskets varying by .010, They make them 3.860 so they can be used with all 3.8's up to 3.860. HTH

John

The cometics will work fine, that is what I use. It is ok to use if they are bigger than the bore, you just don't want one that is smaller than the bore. You are not going to find alot of different bore sizes in head gaskets varying by .010, They make them 3.860 so they can be used with all 3.8's up to 3.860. HTH

John

I'll second this opnion. I have used the cometics on engines at all power levels. I have had great success with them. Retorque after a one warm up and cool down then you are good to go. I install them right out of the package with out any other prep work to the gasket, so far have never had a problem with them.

HTH

RJC Gaskets

My bore is 3.840 and am using and older (still new though) set of the GM double metal shim gaskets that will just fit my application. They were designed for the 3.800 bore. So some are made to fit several bores. RJC sells his newer version of these which is just one shim. I used those on another engine and they were great. The pic below shows the gaskets sitting on the block (minus the silicone for visual clarity). I just happen to be doing my HG on my build and had taken some pics of the progress. :)

100_1314.jpg

100_1316.jpg

Great pictures. i am going with Cometics (used twice before) but will spray all layers this time with Hi tack. What pistons are those. Noticed they have 2 notches (for facing front). My Wiseco's have no marks at all for front facing. I installed them with the P/N facing me.

Mitch

Great pictures. i am going with Cometics (used twice before) but will spray all layers this time with Hi tack. What pistons are those. Noticed they have 2 notches (for facing front). My Wiseco's have no marks at all for front facing. I installed them with the P/N facing me.

Mitch

They are TRW Hyperutectic (spelling). Wish I had went with forged....but I'll be ok. I have not tried Comtec's, heard they are great and heard that they are prone to leaks. I think re-torquing is one of the keys to good HG sealing. I also found that when re-torquing that only the center four bolts would be a little loose. I went with studs now so I will find out which come loose. :smile:

Back