You can type here any text you want

Head Gasket ??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
While I was chasing down a exhaust leak I decided to do a compression check . All cylinders were 170 to 173 psi except I believe they are #4 & #6 (pass side middle & rear) which were 150 psi (middle) and 120-125 psi (rear). I checked them 3 times , am I right. If so can you change just one side :confused:??? If I pull both heads should I have them O-ringed ?? What gaskets is everyone using ? Thanks Sam

Was the engine warm & throttle blade wide open when testing?
Why do you think its a head gasket?
Also a leak down test should be done before you tear apart anything.

Car was cold cause it has been apart for a week waiting for header gaskets & getting header welded. Would it matter if the throttle wasn't open cause the middle & back cylinders on pass side were the only ones lower the rest were all identical. I had a bad FP gauge that was reading 9 psi low and the FP was adjusted to that. I was getting backfiring and knock retard on scanmaster before getting the FP straightened out. After adjusting FP the car ran great with no knock but when I drove near a gaurd rail I could hear what I thought was an exhaust leak . Pulled the car in the garage and listened , it was coming from the pass side. I pulled the crossover , downpipe & header . Header gasket looked bad (passenger side rear), and had a crack in the collector near the turbo flange. I did a compression check just to be sure and that was my results.

Does anyone else have any opinion ? I really want to get it back on the road before summer ends . Thanks Sam

Head gaskets

DO A CYLINDER LEAKAGE TEST YOU MIGHT HAVE BURNED VALVE OR SEAT OR POSSIBLE PISTON ISSUE:eek:

?

You are doing something wrong since your compression is high on some cylinders ...My two cents said it should be in the neighbourhood of 140-145 psi on all cylinders.Throtle blade open and all spark plugs out and if I am wrong somebody will chime in ..?>:biggrin: good luck with whatever the outcome is ..

The compression check was pretty straight forward . All plugs out, throttle open, & 6 compression cycles per cylinder . I could watch the gauge on each cylinder during pump up and all got to their final reading by the 5th cycle , the 6th didn't go higher (did it 3 times). I guess other than a misadjusted valve I'm going to be pulling the head anyways, correct ?

Back