You can type here any text you want

Head Studs Leaking Need Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOKA72

Whats Up Guys...put This Motor Together With Head Studs...my First Time Using Them....started The New Engine Today Everything Is Beautiful ...oil Pressure Is Awesome...water Temp Is Good...sounds Great...rock Steady....then I See Water Shooting Out Of The Stud...retorqued That One Because At This Point Im Furious..and I Added The Coolant Tabs And Restarted..i Still See A Lil Seepage Out Of One Maybe Two.....what Can I Do......vinny

Don't feel bad it has happened to many of us.

Try more of the AC Delco tabs. It'll probably work.

Check your oil for coolant, cus the studs under the valve cover can leak too!

If the tabs don't work you'll have to pull the studs out and seal them with something. I use Loc tite hydraulic thread sealant (loc tite 545).

you may get away with it (50/50 chance) if you pull the studs out 1 at a time, seal and retorque them individually, but I wouldn't recommend it. I tried it once but it didn't work. Head gasket blew on the first drive. Filled the crankcase with coolant and graphite. (made a bad situation worse)

If it were my car and the seal tabs didn't do the trick, I'd start pulling the heads back off now.

I Was Thinking The Samr Thing..pull Out One At A Time...and Maybe Replacing With Head Bolts....i Cant Beleive This What A Bummer...

I Used Arp Sealer...think Im Going To Try A Retorqe And Then See What Happens...if Not Has Anyone Had Any Luck With Swapping Out With Bolts One At A Time Or Am I Just Dreaming.....thnx

ARP sealer is junk. Permatex high temp thread sealer works great.

Few work well. I know from 6 engines that 567 works. I cant say about others but I know some are good & many are not. I would go 1 at a time up to about 65 on all so they are even & then do the final all together at 80-85 or a couple more than what they are now. not much but a few for sure IMO Altho I have never tried it. Just what I would do. Good Luck!

Well Looks Like I Have More Then One....i Was Looking The Engine Over While Making My Final Decision..i Pressurized The Cooling System I So Far Have 4 Leaking Studs....2 Inside...2 Outside...on The Left Side Alone ..the Only Thing I Could Think Of Is That The Arp Sealer I Used Was No Good..im Thinking Its Shelf Life..maybe It Was Just Plain Old....well Anyway Im Thinking Im Going To Do One At A Time In The Car...going To See If I Can Find That 567 Loctite Tomorrow..i Do Have The 592..which I Can Use To..i Think Its Going To Work Out Fine...vinny

head studs

Make sure the threads are very clean !no oil or old sealer in them. thats the key to no leaks

Back