You can type here any text you want

head units(hi-end)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Joe Tiano

TMF Supporting Vendor
just wondering...are there ANY "new"CD headpeices that can compare to the specs of the ol' alpine 7909??...or the sony U8000..real word specs..not advertised manufac specs.I would like a modern looking head peice...i'm going to build a simple 2 way system for my wifes we4..a pair of 1st gen. usd waveguides and a pair of usd 10's ...passive x over network...auido control EQT's..a 225 hcca orion amp joe:)

Hey Joe...I've had alot of High end head units in the past -
3 - 7909
2 - sony U8000
1 - Sony 910
1 - Sony xes P-1
1 - Alpine AiNet W/outboard digital converter/proc.

I know the reputation of the 7909, but here's the hard facts(I'll probably get crucified for the truth):

Technology has passed it by. I used a 7909 for years thinking it was the end all be all. One day, I decided to A/B test it to a bunch of other headunits (high end and mid line) just to verify what I "knew". EVERY OTHER HEAD UNIT sounded just as good or BETTER.
I was very surprised...Not only did I participate in the A/B comparison myself, but I had 9 other people participate to keep it honest. Some people were in the industry, others were just regular people who could care less about car audio. I ended up picking a Nakmichi CD1. Possibly one of the most unreliable head unit I've ever owned (so was the 7909) but, man did it sound good when it worked.

The 7909 was a GREAT head unit in it's day...basically untouchable, but time has passed it by.

Personally, I think it's splitting hairs once you get to the upper end head units. What features are you looking for? I've got a really nice Alpine headunit (7945 I think) that I'll soon be replacing if you're interested (it's the last of the performance oriented headunits Alpine made...all performance few bells and whistles) I've also got a set of the USD A700 waveguide lens with veritas compression drivers I might let go of.

i'm looking for ..UNDISTORTED output ..actual S/N ratio...and sorce impedance... i think the 7909 had 4.5v undistorted and a low impedance of 200ohm...if i could find my old a2tb..i'd know fer sure...thanks joe:D

I'm not a big Alpine fan but the 7909 was a class act. Very much ahead of it's time. But one big oversight, no remote control for the volume????? Makes no sense whatsoever. I have a Sony U8000, bought in 92. The specs were a little deceiving. It has a 4v output but a exrtemely high output impedance (I think 5000 ohms). The a2tb tech breifs confirmed both of these manufacturers specs.

You'd be better off looking at some of the high end HU's of today for low output impedance and high S/N ratios. Nakamichi and Eclipse come to mind.

Originally posted by Joe Tiano
just wondering...are there ANY "new"CD headpeices that can compare to the specs of the ol' alpine 7909??...or the sony U8000..real word specs..not advertised manufac specs.I would like a modern looking head peice...i'm going to build a simple 2 way system for my wifes we4..a pair of 1st gen. usd waveguides and a pair of usd 10's ...passive x over network...auido control EQT's..a 225 hcca orion amp joe:)

If you like the 7909 then buy one, there are always ones on eBay. It is still one of the best out there.

As for modern ones, the Clarion 9255, Nak CD700, Pioneer P9, but these are all very expensive decks.

You can get a 7909 for about $500 on eBay.

Food for thought.

I saved up two 7909 in excellent condition. Will part out one if the price is good, but I think the optical is shot and a few of the lamps got to change.

Back when I was into it, the alternative to the 7909 was the Kenwood KDC-PS907. 4v outputs, or 8v balanced outputs. This was big news when we used to use balanced line drivers to try to lower the noise floor and improve S/N.

I dont rember where it clipped. I do remember setting it all up with a scope.

TurboJim, I beleive the KDC-PS907 is a late 90's HU. The 7909 is a 90' or 91'. Maybe even earlier. Quite a big time difference.

Have you looked into the Denon Z1? I am pretty sure it has the best specs of any head on the market today.

specs - smecks

The Best Head unit I've ever heard had the worst specs I've ever seen.

You use your ears to listen not your eyes.
:D

Most head units exceed our (human) capabilities.

Back