You can type here any text you want

header boltz wont fit with ARP studs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
OK here are a few pic,I have read alot of posts and only come up with "header clearancing" which to me is having to knotch the headers ...my problem looks like I need to cut down the stud with a cutoff wheel,,see pics....am I correct and would there be any ill effect if I cut down to the yellow paper used as a matker.....

Attachments

• april... 011.jpg
    april... 011.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 168
  • april... 010.jpg
    april... 010.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 182
  • april... 012.jpg
    april... 012.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 169
I'm using ARP bolts for my heads and with the thick washer I had a similar issue and had to do some work on the header flanges to clear the heads of the head bolts ....

For the Studs I see no issue shortening them, however I would shorten the other end so you still have the allen key at the top if you like to remove them at some point and that way they wont rust as easily I guess leaving the black plating intact.

I used arp bolts on my heads. Don't put the washers on and it all bolts together with no clearancing. Engine has never had any problems. I got this suggestion from Johns Performance.

Ive used allen bolts for the headers.

No problem clearing the studs or bolts on a few TTA's in the past.

I had to shorten the allen wrench, but assembling the engine on the stand like your doing, you can install the header and then the studs on the ones that interfere.

Let me know if that works out for you.

If that doesnt work, try making a stud for the header with a locknut. Slot the stud with a cutoff wheel so you can screw the stud in with a screwdriver, and then install the locknut so it will clear the stud.

BW

Another issue you might face using the ARP washers (if used and I did..) with both ARP head bolts and the ARP studs is the actual height of the bolt head or stud nut when using the washer makes the flange of the headers ride on them and only way around it it to grind some material off the underside of the header flanges to clear the bolt head or stud nut.

Do a trial fit and you will see what I mean.

Without the washer there is no problem but of course I used the washers on my head bolts and found out the hardway :rolleyes:

YEs Jan ,I have the same problem,in all my pics you can see that the top of the bolt is where the header is resting,need some grinding there also....

Back