Header build???

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Am starting a turbo header build, [SS], and I'm wondering if anyone has made their own purge system?
If so, would you share the makeup of such?? A pic or two would be great!:D

Chuck ,
I have no pics but have seen several home made systems. One is just a T' off your main gas line to a secondary regulator. A small 1/4 barbed fitting and matching rubber hose. Tape the ends of the tubing off and run the hose inside the tape.

Another Ive seen is using a secondary tank set up with the same hose set up from above.

Chuck ,
I have no pics but have seen several home made systems. One is just a T' off your main gas line to a secondary regulator. A small 1/4 barbed fitting and matching rubber hose. Tape the ends of the tubing off and run the hose inside the tape.

Another Ive seen is using a secondary tank set up with the same hose set up from above.

Louie, thanks for the reply. I've got a spare reg and some hose. I also have a 2 port "Y" on my MIG. I'll try it on the argon and see how things go.....

http://www.solarflux.com/

ive used this stuff and it does the same thing as purging. if the part needs to be solid in major heat enviroments, this is what you want

the best part is since you dont have a pressurized purge system on whatever your building...it wont blow your weld out of the front lol

http://www.solarflux.com/

ive used this stuff and it does the same thing as purging. if the part needs to be solid in major heat enviroments, this is what you want

the best part is since you dont have a pressurized purge system on whatever your building...it wont blow your weld out of the front lol

I think we have a winnah!! :D
Going to order a can of it, and will report back...
Thanks.........

I just read the instructions on the Solarflux. It states that there's a hard coating left over. I'm wondering if this stuff would let go, and damage a turbo exh wheel??

[The site says it can be removed w/ another chemical and stainless brush.]
NE 1 w/ experience??

Yes it leaves a layer behind and thats why i dont like it. Sometimes it comes off easy sometimes not.

Like Louie said. Use a T fitting after the regulator. One side of the T to your welder, the other side with a needle valve or a small ball type flow meter. Tape the ends of the tubing up. Poke a small hole in each end, put the hose in one end and it's purged. This is even what the industrial guys do.

the layer from the solarflux is so thin and brittle it wont do anything to your turbine wheel.

burns stainless uses it exclusively

Got a can and a bottle of HEET.
Got it from the local welding supply house: $56/1 lb can.
More later.....

Am starting a turbo header build, [SS], and I'm wondering if anyone has made their own purge system?
If so, would you share the makeup of such?? A pic or two would be great!:D

Update on my progress.... A pic of what we've accomplished, so far...
wastegate.jpg