You can type here any text you want

Header Coatings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mark b

Has anyone used header coatings other than these?

Jet Hot
Jet Li (just kidding)
HPC
Airborne
Swain Technologies
Eastwood
Bill Hirsch
VHT (all kinds)
Powdercoat

... I have used all of these on one thing or another and am looking for alteratives. I think 90% of the people out there do Cermakrome, so the only thing that differentiates them is quality control and prep work.

Any recommended places other than the above?

Thanks!

Thermal Tech - Cermacrome, I used them for valve covers.

Baxter Engineering - This one is Ceramic-Stainless!!!!!!! I haven't used them (YET)

i have a form of hot jet / HPC on my header for about a year now ..it has held up pretty good..;)

Baxter seems to be temporarily out of business-retail anyway.

The flaw I see there, for manifolds, is that they are rated for 1500 degs. Says 1600-1700 is close to meltdown.

Nice looking stuff, tho

I had my Hooker headers jet-hotted grey after all the ceramic flaked. Have been jet-hotted for about 2 years w/ absolutely no problems. Also, my 3" ATR DP was jet-cotted same time w/ no problems.

Jet Hot 2000 coating on my THDP. So far so good, light flat gray finish. Not as pretty as the shiney stuff but they say it won't flake off either.

Dennis - have you used "firecoat"?
That place is only a couple of miles away from me....

For durability and heat aspects, I don't think anyone will outperform Swain - when you see what their product and process is, you'd see why. But I didn't care for the way my headers came out with them. The finish is rough, started out as pearl white and is dulling down and is releasing a fine white powder all over my motor.

Firecoat's website claims up to 2000 degrees for the shiney silver ceramic coating. That almost sounds too good to be true. Anyone used Firecoat before?

Originally posted by mark b
Dennis - have you used "firecoat"?
That place is only a couple of miles away from me....

For durability and heat aspects, I don't think anyone will outperform Swain - when you see what their product and process is, you'd see why. But I didn't care for the way my headers came out with them. The finish is rough, started out as pearl white and is dulling down and is releasing a fine white powder all over my motor.
Sorry ,no I hae not used Firecoat,,I read the post and did a search for header coatings and that sounded the best,,heard Swain is good also

Anyone hae the Thermal coating on the inside of the THDP ad Ceramic on the outside..will it hold up?

Dennis - this isn't an exact answer to your question, but they key work is "thermal coating". Some of the places that use the Cermakrome will do the inside of the pipe as well as the outside. This is how they advertise being able to withstand the higher heat temps.

Other places like Swain (and it sounds like Firecoat) use a different material to form a true thermal barrier. Swain actually coats the outside with 3 different material, once of which is a barrier coat.

I have heard some people voice concern that the stuff inside the pipe will eventually flake off and go throug the turbo. Not sure if anyone has actually had this happen.

I had Airborne (Hartford, CT) do my downpipe in a color (blue). First they coated the inside, then the outside in the cermakrome, then put a finish color on top. It's help up really, really well for over 4 years now...If it wasn't for me nicking the pipe, it would look new.

Back