You can type here any text you want

Header Crack Hunting!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

paulg

A chase is a race.
Drivers side header is leaking. I dont know if its a crack or the gasket but while its out of the car I want to thouroughly inspect it. Any tips on finding cracks? Any specific area that is prone to cracking on the Driver's side header? Thanks all.

I uses a length of heater hose to my ear to find my ds mani leak. I also let the car COOL, started her up and then put my hand down there and felt the exhaust gases escaping.

There is a few seconds that you can feel around the header when starting the car cold.

The hose idea works too!

"I dont know if its a crack or the gasket but while its out of the car I want to thouroughly inspect it".
Take the heat shield off, and take a look.

I use an IR thermometer with one of those laser sights. When you pass it over the crack it will jump a few hundred degrees.

thanks everyone. Im hoping to get into it tomorrow.. gonna start with the hose and keep trying dffrnt techniques till i find it.. Appriciate the tips guys! Lets hope its a short search and easy fix.

I use an IR thermometer with one of those laser sights. When you pass it over the crack it will jump a few hundred degrees.

I think Harbor Freight Tools has the IR thermometer on sale this week for $29. You'll find other uses for it. I use mine for my gas fireplace business, and to find the coldest beer in the fridge!!

Any way to check headers that are off the car?

Dude it's cracked between were the 3 tubes come together . Take the header off hold it up to a light , look from the bottom were the cross over hooks and you will see the daylight . If this is the case you will need to take it to get welded with some SS wire. I had this same crap going on for weeks . Make sure your flange is nice and flat to help cross over seal!! I went and got some SS bolts and came from the top of the header and put SS nuts from the bottom!! This will work for a long time if you keep a eye on it .

Any way to check headers that are off the car?

I was thinking about sealing the flange with some indoor/outdoor tape, plunking the header in my kids pool, and blowing into the flange to look for bubbles.

How is the driver side header removed? From the top or the bottom?

at work (im a welder) QA uses a MT method of inspection which looks for cracks in metal. its small metal particles in powder form when magnetized attract to cracks in metal. the brand name of the equipment is magnaflux and i beleive machine shops use it too to find cracks in heads. but heres one thing im not sure about it only works on ferrous metals because it works through magnetism, so i havent physically put a magnet to my headers but because they rust i would venture to say that a magnet will stick to it.

Anyway, the header will come out from the top or the bottom. Don't worry to much about how your going to find the crack caues your going to see it when you hold it up to the sun light. Look at my last post ^^^^^^. Good luck , I delt with the sorry ass factory headers long enough, last night I installed a set of ATR and let me tell those headers are way way better than I could have hope for.

I think Harbor Freight Tools has the IR thermometer on sale this week for $29. You'll find other uses for it. I use mine for my gas fireplace business, and to find the coldest beer in the fridge!!
Good idea ..:biggrin:

Back