header cracks

Any machine shop can resurface it flat.... cheap...:wink: "I" wouldn't be trying to straighten it with an adj. wrench... :rolleyes:

I've thought about that but, I'm almost afraid this thing might be warped too much. It's warped close to 1/8" :(

Err, sorry, Bruce? But, look at it this way, by the time you get to number 12, your car will be so nice that you will want to take off the other header and get them ceramic coated...oh, wait, that means more money. Sorry, again, Bruce

No problem....that's a positive way to look at it. It is looking better all the time, but still so much more to do. I want to drive the thing so bad...:frown: Beautiful fall days out here, perfect for the T-Tops to come off....and there it sits on jackstands. And now the header....sigh.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

:wink:
PM sent! ;)

We have been welding these drivers side headers for years and have not had one person come back and say it cracked again. Just let me know if you need it done..

Scot W.

Yes I do!!! Thank you, Scott. I did remember from a previous post by you almost the exact words you said above, and that's why I recommended and picked you. You've always done quality, top work, and I just greatly admire how you treat everybody here on the forum....a class act and true gentleman....we could all learn from you. I mean, look at all the time, trouble and effort you went through for all the guys here who bought your fantastic LED tail lights.....I was so damn impressed! And yes.....soon.....I'm getting an LED tail light set from you....and only you. That's a promise.:wink:

Do you weld a gusset between No.s 3 and No.s 5 header tubes? Is this included in your permanent fix for them?

Bruce '87 Grand National

:wink:

Yes I do!!! Thank you, Scott. I did remember from a previous post by you almost the exact words you said above, and that's why I recommended and picked you. You've always done quality, top work, and I just greatly admire how you treat everybody here on the forum....a class act and true gentleman....we could all learn from you. I mean, look at all the time, trouble and effort you went through for all the guys here who bought your fantastic LED tail lights.....I was so damn impressed! And yes.....soon.....I'm getting an LED tail light set from you....and only you. That's a promise.:wink:

Do you weld a gusset between No.s 3 and No.s 5 header tubes? Is this included in your permanent fix for them?

Bruce '87 Grand National
Bruce, Thanks for the kind words!

My father always told me that "if you don't treat your customers right sooner or later there won't be any left" To this day he has his own business and 90% of his customers are word of mouth. I guess growing up in the family business has taught me something... :biggrin:

Yes we weld a gusset between 3 & 5 and have been doing that for years now. I don't use a big bulky one either...

Scot W.

Hey, what happened to your little green light?? It went out!!!

You're welcome...you deserve it. Looks like you had a fine role model for a Dad...I can understand why he's so sucessful, as you're a reflection of him. You sure listened to him.....a lot of people don't listen to their Dads when growing up.

That's just teriffic about the gusset, and not a thick one. That means I can fit the header under the heat shield that goes over it. Thanks, man.
You are a gice nuy!:D

Bruce '87 Grand National

use a adjiustable wrench on the flange. close it real small so it slips on the flange then lightly tweak it outward till it seals up. thats how i fixed mine

sorry i thought you meant where it mates to the crossover. if someone welds it for you be sure they bolt it to a head before welding,to keep from warping. felpro 1400 gaskets are pretty thick and work good.

PM sent! ;)

We have been welding these drivers side headers for years and have not had one person come back and say it cracked again. Just let me know if you need it done..

Scot W.

What can be done about warped/not sealing OE flanges (header to cross over)
Do you guys also "Clean" them up on the inside??

I had my welder repair the driver side and weld in a 1/4" thick gusset to help keep the tubes from separating. Exactly how Scot described. I haven't run them yet, but they look a helluva lot more robust. $40 for the work.

buick engine 024.jpg

What can be done about warped/not sealing OE flanges (header to cross over)
Do you guys also "Clean" them up on the inside??
Not much! When you start fooling around with those flanges you usually end up making a can of worms out of them. Heat and over torque does them in and it's a bitch to straighten them.

Scot W.

I had my welder repair the driver side and weld in a 1/4" thick gusset to help keep the tubes from separating. Exactly how Scot described. I haven't run them yet, but they look a helluva lot more robust. $40 for the work.

View attachment 111083
When I seen that pic I thought that was one of mine! lol

That is EXACTLY how we do them here... Good job!

Scot W.

View attachment 111083

Yup...that's how the one I just had Lou Czarnota do looks also.:biggrin:

Another area to inspect closely is the inside of the flange around the header tube were they are welded together.
My Passenger side header is cracked there at the #2 pipe, and I have seen another passenger side header with the same crack. You can make out the outline of the end of the header tube in the flange where the weld has cracked.

well got a pair of stock headers already welded form a local board member( thnx ramon)
got everything installed except the turbo. now here is the problem don't have 300+ for a DP right now so i was going to use the stocker for a bit.. oh ya just got a ta49 also
well the upper part of the hole is ported and the puck doesnt seal its off by like 1/16 maybe..
seems as the hole is not even circled more eliptical..or wait it is a circle but a portion is ported at an angle idk if u guys understand or not
hard to explain...
my q is is there any way to buy a bigger puck.. or what are my options here..
will this over ported hole have a huge affect..

will post pics tomorow morning

It will have a huge effect (severe lag/lack of boost) if the puck doesn't cover the hole... RJC sells a nice new puck assembly...not positive it's bigger than stock, but I would assume it must be... it's cheap (well, affordable), but also not positive it's applicable to the stock downpipe/gate.... with the new ta49, i'd venture that you need to bite the bullet and spring for a downpipe to match.... by the time you spent the money to buy/fit/install the puck ass'y to the stock DP, it prolly would only cost a few bucks more go ahead with a new/used 3" aftermarket DP....that's what i'd do... :wink:

One of the vendors is now selling a plate that gets installed between the Turbo's exhaust housing and any DP. if i remember correctly it was designed to specifically fix this problem. Call around My first call would be to RJC.
good luck

well got a pair of stock headers already welded form a local board member( thnx ramon)
got everything installed except the turbo. now here is the problem don't have 300+ for a DP right now so i was going to use the stocker for a bit.. oh ya just got a ta49 also
well the upper part of the hole is ported and the puck doesnt seal its off by like 1/16 maybe..
seems as the hole is not even circled more eliptical..or wait it is a circle but a portion is ported at an angle idk if u guys understand or not
hard to explain...
my q is is there any way to buy a bigger puck.. or what are my options here..
will this over ported hole have a huge affect..

will post pics tomorow morning

It will have a huge effect (severe lag/lack of boost) if the puck doesn't cover the hole... RJC sells a nice new puck assembly...not positive it's bigger than stock, but I would assume it must be... it's cheap (well, affordable), but also not positive it's applicable to the stock downpipe/gate.... with the new ta49, i'd venture that you need to bite the bullet and spring for a downpipe to match.... by the time you spent the money to buy/fit/install the puck ass'y to the stock DP, it prolly would only cost a few bucks more go ahead with a new/used 3" aftermarket DP....that's what i'd do... :wink:

Nothing like a set of SS ATR Vband headers oh yeah and a ATR SS DP with ATR Delta gate . I fixed my header 1 time cracks 2nd time flange issues with crossover . I trolled the board for a few months and found both ATR headers & DP. Oh and NO bottom power issue . My car pick up .20 in the 1/8 with the new headers. As long as the headers are not a LOT bigger you want loose anything on the bottom end.