You can type here any text you want

Headliner sagging?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kidsixpack

It's been addressed here in another thread, but i'd like to ask here. Has anyone had good luck with a trim shop sucessfully repairng a sagging headliner? i'd really like to retain my original if possible. it's sagging in the front portion of the car not the rear.
thanks
KID

Nope. The problem is usually the material is dropped loose due to the foam that it's glued to, deteriorating.
I've replaced the liner by removing it, and the board, scrubbing the old foam off the board w/ a wire brush, then gluing a new liner on.
USE CARE when removing it! The board is 30 yrs old, and subject to cracking. If you find a crack, I used duct tape to reinforce it.
You will likely need some trim clips, too, as these break.
There was a recent thread on how to do this w/ minimal trim removal.,....

Yes, you have to be really careful with the original board. I had thought about trying to go the inexpensive route by recovering the stock board but thought better of it after assessing my skill level. :) I just ordered an ABS pre-covered liner and put that in. I wasn't very careful removing the old one but I can tell you I snapped it easily. Age is not friendly to 80's materials as my front bumper fillers told me this year when I put my hand right through it while waxing the car.

Last edited:
Nope. The problem is usually the material is dropped loose due to the foam that it's glued to, deteriorating.
I've replaced the liner by removing it, and the board, scrubbing the old foam off the board w/ a wire brush, then gluing a new liner on.
USE CARE when removing it! The board is 30 yrs old, and subject to cracking. If you find a crack, I used duct tape to reinforce it.
You will likely need some trim clips, too, as these break.
There was a recent thread on how to do this w/ minimal trim removal.,....

This is exactly what I did last year. Had to repair the board a bit, especially where the visors screw in, but duct tape did wonders. I even duct taped all around the edges just to reinforce. Wire brushed, glued, laid down the fabric. I bought all new clips too.
Take your time, it's easy to do. If not, ABS is the way to go

As mention before, you can carefully remove your old one and repair it, or replace it like the one Highway Star sells.
http://www.highwaystars.net/interior-interior-parts/?page=3
I replaced my T-Top with one of Highway Star and it fit perfect and the color match very well.
You didn't mention if you have Hard Top or T-Top, but mine Highway Star sells them both types.
I still have the original for future repair when I hopefully finish the "Honey Do List"

I bought the material, special spray glue and redid my ttop cars headliner.not too hard came out nice.

The guy that does my headliners does not remove the board or trim pieces.

He covers the interior with sheets and scraped off the old foam after pulling off the cloth.

Glue is sprayed on the board, and the new material is installed from the back to front. It is trimmed and tucked under the trim pieces.

After removing the sheets and blowing out the remaining debris, it looks as good as when new! :)

Most of the work is getting it in and out. The best thing to repair minor cracks is foil tape.

Back