Heater Box Question for Hot Air Conversion

Buickturbo85

Loves The Buicks
Guys,

Got a couple questions regarding heater box compatibility between the hot air and intercooled set-ups. I'm swapping an 87 engine into my 85 and was wondering:

1. Will the 85 style heater box physically clear an 87 3" DP?
2. Will the 85 style heater box/evap cannister connect to the 87-style air conditioning lines with/without mods?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Corbin
:cool:

Heater box is the same between the years. Heater core is a little different. The hotair ones have the inlet and outlet at an angle to keep it away from the turbo. The intercooled ones have straight inlet/outlets. They're interchangable and the later ones are not special, they're the same used with the NA motors. The evaporator should be the same. I'm not sure on the vacuum reservoir but my dad did the conversion and still uses the hotair one.

I did an 87 transplant into an 85 and found a couple of interesting things about the 85 heaterbox.The 87 cover fits the 85 box but there are some differences in the bottom section of the box.There is a little more clearance between the top of the plastic innerfender and the base of the heater box which helps a little if you swap wire harnesses.
Also you know how there is less room on an 85 to get at the #6 sparkplug than there is on an 86-7.Not that an 86-7 has lots of room either.Well after the 87 transplant you're still gonna have less room to get at the #6 plug with the 85 heater box in there.Its no big deal,theres not enough differance to want to change boxes. Mike