Heater Core Replacement

B

BlackBuickBeast

Well, it looks like my heater core is finaly going out on me. I have a few questions on replacing it. I know someone has a link to the replacement guide that someone wrote up with a n/a buick. I couldn't seem to find it.
What kind of selant did everyone use, 3com weatherstriping or RTV?
When the heater core starts to leak does it leak inside the passanger compartment? I haven't found any wetness but I what to make sure that there is no water inside. From what I can tell it seems to just leak down the firewall and hit my downpipe.
Buick said that they stoped making them awhile ago, I bought a Hi/Lo replacement, has anyone had problems with defective units?

Oh, and also while I'm there I would like to repaint my cowl trim(the one that the wipers sit on) It's kind of a weird plastic. What has everyone used to paint it?

Thanks for any advise,
Jason

Here is a procedure with color pics..http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/core/Welcome.html

I replaced mine 4 years ago, had coolant in the passengers floor. Used the Hi/Lo replacement no problems since. It took some effort getting it apart, they used RTV adhesive at the factory and it was stubborn. Good luck

- Scott

Thanks for the help, I'm starting on it first thing in the mourning.