You can type here any text you want

Heater question???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

What is the possibilties of having a heater with a Stage 2 car??? Can it happen? What has to be done to allow this? This is not a full race car, just a bad ass street car!! -----Jeremy

me

I have a heat only box in my car. Works OK. You can locate a GM unit or American Graffiti has after market ones. That body don't know what engine is in it.

Yeah, I heard there were clearence issues having to do with the heads. I want to have heat and AC. I was wondering if a heater box rom a NA V8 car would be smaller and fit a little better?

Jeremy,

You can have the stock A/C and Heater box in a Stage II car if you are using Champion or TA stage 1 type heads and not Stage II heads.

Things are a bit tighter, i think because of the heads maybe being taller AND using the taller valve covers, but otherwise, the engine is dimensionally the same as a stocker.

My car, in particular, has all of the stock stuff, but has a piece of the bottom most corner of the heat shield cut out to clear the valve cover better. You can't even see where I cut it.

The would be a lot easier to work out without A/C though... there's a give and take to everything.

I see! Thanks for the info John. I still havent sold my car yet but we shall see. I need to get the rear end back together befor I can really advertise it. How's the snow down there??

If...IF...you can locate the old ATR "kidney plate" and heater core kit, you can have S2 heads with the stock heater/AC box. It involves some cutting and fiberglass work inside the stock box (not a big deal, really) and there's more room for S2 heads than the stock setup.

If I'd had the fabrication skills to make an acessory bracket that would support the A/C compressor, I'd still have A/C, too.

Yeah it really depends on whether or not you plan to have a race car or a street car. My personal opinion isto have the car with all the accesseries!!

Here is what I am planning to do. I will remove stock a/c heater box.

Thank you for your interest in Hot Rod Air's climate control and engine cooling products.

In reguard to your 87' Buick we would recommend our Elite Deluxe Complete Package. This system will provide you with four vents of a/c, vent or floor heat, and two ports of dehumidified defrost alowing you to blend hot and cold air in the heat and defrost modes. The kit will include the evaporator, a new Saden 508 comprssor, compressor bracket,hose kit with drier, condenser, and a safety switch. We can also adapt thsi unit to operate off of your original a/c or heater controls for an additional $185.00. All of these components are available seperate if you do not need the whole pakage.

I dont have heat in my car and dont plan on putting it in for weight reasons for the time being but this is what id do Need Heat

If youve eleminated the AC box the drip tray is mandatory anyway IMO.

I am running an off center stage 2 and have accessories that Buick put on the car still working. This is a full streetable car that made 2 trips to Bristal and can be driven anywhere. Wet weather driving is not advisable but has been done.

Gary

Attachments

• engine-ps.jpg
    engine-ps.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 94
  • stg 2 casting number.jpg
    stg 2 casting number.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 93
That is a nice set up I have seen your car a few times. I live in Wilson.

I assume jdplzin wants to use stage 2 heads and thats were clearance issues will arise.

Like in my post above I am going to use Hot Rod Air set up. My set up will be stage 2 on-center 153 block,stage 2 heads and intake manifold. If will be a little trouble but I am going to have all accesories on my car. It can be done.

Thanks to Mac in SD for all the guidance!

Back