Hello

a911medic

Hi, I just signed up, and I have a question. I have a camaro body, and I have loved the 231 v6 turbo since it was introduced. I want to put the v6 in the camaro to be different, and to let the rice burners really have it.

Here is my question. Do I have to start with an actual block from the grand national, typhoon, cyclone etc, or can I find any ole 231 and build it piece by piece to eventually end up with an identical engine to the GN's?

Are the 3800 engines the same block? I mean can I take a GTP supercharged engine and get the same results as the GN's had?

Better to not reinvent the wheel......use the GN specific block/parts. In these cars, going cheap= expensive!

Thanks

Yea, I have looked at the swap info, I have no issues with putting the engine in, I'm just looking for info on what block to start with. How do I know a turbo block? I see them referred to as "109" but is that part of the casting number or what?

109 info

U can find a 109 block in any junkyard in any 86-87 G body car, however the crank is not as strong as the "turbocranks". My opinion is inorder to keep costs and headaches down, buy a complete drivetrain including wiring harness etc. The initial price may be a lil high but in the long run U will be better off. There was a member on here that has done the same conversion u were talking about. Ur car is soo close to a Turbo Trans Am that U should be in great shape as far as finding exactly what u need. Good luck and welcome to hell!

What year Camaro are you trying to swap in to?

The GN engine, the Syclone/Typhoon engine, and the 3800 are all completely different. You won't be able to mix and match parts from these 3. Starting with a complete setup from any of the three will probably be your best bet for a swap. Seen a few 1st gen Camaros with a GN drivetrain for example, and that looks like a pretty easy swap and makes for a fast car. If you have a 3rd gen, then you'll probably be faced with having to use some TTA parts.

The 109 is the casting number of the 86/87 block, and it came in a bunch of cars those two years, not just the GN. It is the strongest production block. But that doesn't mean the other blocks are no good, you could build up a 4.1 or an earlier 3.8 too. It's just that when you look at all the other pieces you need - headers, intake, blah blah blah - you'll probably get nickled and dimed to death unless you start with a complete setup.

John

If the car is a 4th Gen (93-02), stick with the production block that came in the V6 Camaro/Firebirds. They have a cross bolted mains (read: strong!) and a gerotor style oil pump (read: better!). There are quite a a few people that have turbo'd these cars and have run some great numbers with a stock bottom end.

More Help please

Well, I ended up getting a 3800 supercharged engine. It was a good price and figure i can resell if I can't use it.

I have a 92 camaro. I'd like to do the cold air turbo model 231. These are a bit hard to come by. If the 109 blocks are all the same, great, I'll look. Where are the casting numbers on them?

Is the 3800sc engine going to be way too much work? I mean the intake, cooling hose are both going to be pointing at my firewall. Not to mention I will some custom headers. I can weld, but, not sure I will be able to fab this stuff.

I have access to a 91 camaro V6. Should I go buy this engine, and guild it up to the supercharged or turbo version?

Please help, I'd like input and want to build a V6 that is 500+ HP at the wheels. I know it's possible, but i'm new to the V6 world. :confused:

The 3800 is a FWD engine and has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than a rear drive V6. A 700R4 out of a early S-10 V6 has the same bolt pattern, but VERY weak internals. I think that it can be modified to handle decent hp, though. A 200-4R trans will not bolt up, though you might be able to fab an adaptor plate. ($$$) The 3800 is probably WAYYYYY too much work to get right. Check the for sale section and get a complete running gear out of a 86-87 Turbo Regal. Or, beter yet, buy a 5.3 Vortec 2000-2007 truck engine and turbocharge THAT. It's a bolt in deal (mounts are available) You could use a LS-1 but the truck engines can safely be run STOCK to 600+ HP, and they are getting REAL cheap. MUCH cheaper (than a turbo six). The turbo six is a great little engine, but no where near the potential of the GenIII V8. The Vortec 5.3 engine is a 326 cid engine and has HUGE potential, if you want to build it up. You can use the stock rotating assy, used LS6 cam and give it 15-18 psi boost and SPANK just about anything on the road. If you ever want to step up, there are guys making over 2,000 HP with the GenIII and GenIV V8's. I think that installing a turbo Buick V6 into your Camero is a step backward.