You can type here any text you want

Hellwig Sway Bar Installation Issues

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hawkfan

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I got the sway bar mounted to the axle, but am having an issue with the end links. I installed the links in the middle hole and drilled my 1/2" holes in the cross member right where they should be per the instructions. The brackets for the end links with the 1/2" bolts will hit the exhaust if I mount them facing straight ahead. The ONLY way to avoid this is to either 'modify' the exhaust with a hammer, or tilt the brackets out(facing the tires). I'm not that concerned about the exhaust since it will be swapped out for a Pypes exhaust. But, I am worried about tilting the brackets out to clear the exhaust since I don't know how this will affect the bar's performance. I know I can't be the first to encounter this issue since so many hear have already installed the Hellwig sway bar. Any suggestions???

I've installed two of these, and haven't had clearance problems with either of them. The last car I installed it on had a Pypes exhaust, so you might just want to "clearance" it until you get your new exhaust. Also, make sure the bar is centered on the rear end.

I've installed two of these, and haven't had clearance problems with either of them. The last car I installed it on had a Pypes exhaust, so you might just want to "clearance" it until you get your new exhaust. Also, make sure the bar is centered on the rear end.
I re-checked the sway bar position after I noticed the clearance issue. It's dead center between the lower arms. It's obvious that the exhaust that's on the car isn't stock or a stock replacement. All of the connections from downpipe to cat to the cat back are welded instead of bolted. It may be 3" steel tubing too. Maybe the bends over the axle are a little higher than stock which is leading to my clearance issue. Either way, it looks like the exhaust has a date with a hammer tomorrow.

Date with a hammer LOL

Once you get it all set up, you'll love it.

Back