Help 1980 Turbo in My Monte is not working

1980turbo

I bought a nice original 1980 Monte Carlo v6 Turbo 78kmiles. The turbo does not seem to be working. I don’t even know what style, model etc the turbo is. I would like to have it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one. Also the Waste Gate Vacuum Pull off for the turbo is frozen and does not open and close the waste gate. I have done a nationwide search and cannot find a replacement. I have also tried a couple of Auto parts stores to search the aftermarket arena have yielded nothing. Thus I am turning to the web to see if someone here might be able to give me some direction. Thank you in advance for ANY info... Please.

Thanks.
Jake
jake86@qwest.net

I'm not an expert.... but the waste gate not functioning sounds like the reason you're not making boost. (I looked and RockAuto Doesn't appear to list the pull-off). You could try the parts wanted forum here. Or deal with someone parting out a car.
This is the same thing that happened to a buddy's 1995 Turbo Diesel Suburban.

Just make sure you check the play on the shaft.:biggrin:

Turbo Monte's are cool. I can 't even begin were to lead you to. Only that you've come to the right place. Someone is bound to pop up with acurate info. Turbos are so easy to have rebuilt.

I have had experiance with these guys. They are super decent and give one on one attention to detail. Prices are ball-park. Not cheap, not expensive... but average for these unique turbo engines:

Click here: home

Good turn around too! I recommend them as a start. Good luck! Read the postings by other members once they begin to pop-up on this thread. There insight is invaluable!

Try unhooking the downpipe (the exhaust pipe bolted to the turbo with three bolts). They might be hard to remove. Then you can start the car and look inside to see if the impellers are spinning.

I see used turbos on Ebay all the time.

Look over this website for more - BEFORE BLACK Website

I bet it is just your wastegate. Before buying a wastegate I would pull the pipe off and make sure it spins first. A wastegate shouldn't be that hard to find. A whole turbo shouldn't be that hard to find if that's the way you wanna go. I picked up a rebuilt, never used with new actuator for 200 bucks, but that was 6 years ago. Check around and be patient. Check with a diesel shop that deals with a lot of turbos, they seem to know a lot of people and have a lot of connections. Until this time, do your FULL tune up, change the fluids, put on a k&n cone, clean your carb, go through vac lines, check the driver's side manifold for cracks. Am I missing anything else:confused:

ARG!!! THanks fellas for the info. I bet I have called 15 recomended Turbo places. No one has anything for this. ARG ARG ARG!!!

The car runs a bit hot asIt is not able to get good air flow. It stumbles etc.

The tune up stuff is a given, rad and everything else checks out.

Thoughts?

80 monte

before you condemn your turbo, you might check the catalitic converter...I`ve seen them plugged up enough to keep the turbo from working

I had the turbo rebult to performace spects. It was not original equipment. It was bad due to lack of lubrication so I am replacing the oil line. Turns out the turbo was replaced with a model that has a water journal as well so I intend on hooking that up too. The new oil line is braided for what even that is worth. I am also installing a vac gauge. I plan on putting discrete dual exhaust on it and eliminating the CC. Hoping to have the work done this weekend.