You can type here any text you want

Help! Brake Light & Pres. Switch

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNMatt87

Hey Guys,
I need some help from all of you regarding the slushmaster! Lately my brake idiot light has been coming on, when I am moving and I step on the brakes the light comes on for a sec then goes out, when the engine is off, key on and I press the brake the light also comes on for a sec. From what I have been reading is this a classic symptom of a bad accumulator? Also I have the updated brake pressure switch (grey) and I pulled the connector off while troubleshooting and I noticed the inside was filled with brake fluid and also on the 3 prongs of the connector. This can't be normal, can it? This is a 11,000 mile stock Grand National everything original. I can't see why the powermaster would be failing this early. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get me back on the road, cause I'm afraid to drive it right now and lose my brakes. Thanks alot,
-Matt

Good that you have decided not to drive it until you solve your problem.

Yes, the brake light in the dash flashes due to either low pressure in the P/M, the parking brake is on, or there is a problem in the proportioning valve. As you have already found fluid in the switch, you know there is definetely a problem there. It could be malfunctining and causing the light to flash. No, there should not be any fluid in it.

Without the correct tool to test the switch, your best bet is to get another to diagnose and be sure your P/M is working right. Probably good to time it before hand if and compare your results with a known good switch.

Timing procedure is here: Brake System

Is your fluid in good condition?

Understandable what you are saying, today I made another interesting discovery. The main harness (4 prongs) going to the powermaster motor has brake fluid inside also! :mad: I also flushed the fluid and it has nice clean stuff in now. Time for a rebuilt PM? Anyone else have these kind of problems on such a low mile car? Also, would I need to splice a new connector on the male part of it, if it has brake fluid inside or would wiping it out be fine and letting it dry?
Thanks

You can wipe it out and clean the connectors.

Sorry you're having problems with a low mileage car. Unfortunately, it's still an old car and sitting without being driven is not good for any of them.

Good luck!:cool:

Matt,
Most likely that fluid in the motor connector is residual left over from some other event when brake fluid was spilled. Clean it and check again later. If it happens again you need to begin looking for bowl or line connection leaks as they will drip down on the motor. The motor itself does not have a brake fluid in it (of course).

Turbo1dr makes a valid point. The PowerMaster doens't like to sit. 11k miles is wonderful for your vehicle, but it does need to be driven once in a while. The PowerMaster itself doesn't like to sit. If you know it will be sitting for some time, pump the acc down. See my sign for proper procedures.

Z

Hydroboost Conversion

Brake Fluid Does Not Evaporate. If You Rinse It With Water, It Will. When The Seal Leaks Between The Pump And 12v Section, The Windings Could Fill Up With Fluid. Any Brake System Will Live Many Years Longer With Annual Brake Fluid Changes. Brake Fluid Is A Glycol, And Absorbs Water Just Like Antifreeze. So. 20 Years Of Moisture Will Ruin Any Brake Components. Driving The Car Will Heat Up The Fluid, And Helps Disperse Moisture. Silicone Is A Likely Answer, But. In This Car, The Vane Pump Will Turn The Silicone To Foam, And No Brakes. I Do Have New Motor/pump, If You Need One, And I Can Rebuild The P/m. Bob

Well thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. I think I am just going to get a rebuilt PM and hopefully everything will be fine. I think Kirban's has the cheapest price around.
-Matt

Advance Auto has rebuilt ones for $358.88 with a limited lifetime warranty. Core fee is $50.00

When The Seal Leaks Between The Pump And 12v Section, The Windings Could Fill Up With Fluid.
Doubtful that would happen. The fluid would leak about between the components of the motor housing. It isn't liquid tight. The windings might get coated due to the movement of the rotor....

Silicone Is A Likely Answer, But. In This Car, The Vane Pump Will Turn The Silicone To Foam, And No Brakes.
Do you mean the purple colored silicone fluid? It runs about $20/qt and can't be mixed with standard brake fluid anyway. Not even woth going there.

Back