You can type here any text you want

Help.. BS ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DiverDavies

Diver Davies
Just bought a set of front 17x8 4.5 bs front w/ 245x45x17 and rear 17x9 5.25 bs w/ 275x40x17 .The guy at the tire store said wit adaptors thay will fit fine. Is this true. What size adaptors should thay be? The order is going in tomorrow morning. Please let me know what you think. Im not noching my frame or rolling my fenders.

The fronts will fit without an adapter but it would be tucked in pretty far. I would say 3/4" adapter would give you a nice track but I think you'll have to settle for the 1" inch as long as the front is not lowered.

The back will fit a 5" backspacing but not 5.25". I would go with the same 1" adapter in the back to bring the wheel out or it will be tucked in there pretty good also with anything smaller than that.

do a little research. some people are comfortable running spacers however many (including myself) would strongly advise *against* running spacers.

if you understood what kinds of additional loads wheel spacers put on the wheel studs you might think twice about using them. Wheel "adapters" are a better option, but they are still a band-aid for wheels that don't fit properly.

Adaptors is what the guy at the tire shop said.. my bad. What wheel size would I need to run the tires I want.. I cant find wheels in 17x9 in 4 in bs anywhere... Thanks

Adaptors is what the guy at the tire shop said.. my bad. What wheel size would I need to run the tires I want.. I cant find wheels in 17x9 in 4 in bs anywhere... Thanks

17x9's to fit our cars are available from plenty of vendors. the catch is, there are not many "off the shelf" options with the correct bolt pattern *and* back spacing. most less expensive manufacturers make wheels for newer cars which have possitive offsets. G-bodies need either zero or a little negative offset and there just aren't many options unless you're willing to shuck out the $$$ for custom wheels. American Racing and Center Line have some really cool designs that can be custom ordered with whatever backspacing you want. They're less $$ than some of the serious road racing rims (Simmons, Fikse, etc.), but they're still considerably more expensive than the mass-produced wheels made for Mustangs, Camaros, etc. G-Body Parts is supposedly working on 17" diameter GNX style rims, but I don't believe they are availble yet.

HTH
Rob

Your fronts are perfect.

You will need a .5 inch adapter for the back.

Those wheels are going to be in a little too far. I've got some 17x8'" with 4" backspacing and I think they are in a little too much. If you are planning on lowering or putting a big brake upgrade then maybe I would be a little concerned with rub on the outer fender. With your planned 17x8" 4.5 " backspacing you will have the skinnie look in the front. Now if it was a 17x8.5" maybe you could say it was close to perfect with a big brake upgrade that brings it out another 1/4" at least.

Mount the fronts as is and see if you like it

silver fox , his wheels are going to sit in at least 3/4" inch more than yours.

As for the back i wouldn't trust any adapter that is not at least 1" thick even if you could find them. Since you need an adapter the safest and best thing would be the 1". Ideally the perfect situation would be the right width wheels with the right backspacing. I would not use a 1/2' spacer even with longer studs. I've got some 18x9.5" 5" backspacing wheels in the back and they still have room to come out a little more. essentially with those wheels and a 1" adapter your wheels will be 1/4" further out than mine.

You can mount the rears as is as much as possible with a jack under the rear end and determine for yourself how much further out you would like it.

Those wheels are going to be in a little too far. I've got some 17x8'" with 4" backspacing and I think they are in a little too much. If you are planning on lowering or putting a big brake upgrade then maybe I would be a little concerned with rub on the outer fender. With your planned 17x8" 4.5 " backspacing you will have the skinnie look in the front. Now if it was a 17x8.5" maybe you could say it was close to perfect with a big brake upgrade that brings it out another 1/4" at least.

silver fox , his wheels are going to sit in at least 3/4" inch more than yours.

As for the back i wouldn't trust any adapter that is not at least 1" thick even if you could find them. Since you need an adapter the safest and best thing would be the 1". Ideally the perfect situation would be the right width wheels with the right backspacing. I would not use a 1/2' spacer even with longer studs. I've got some 18x9.5" 5" backspacing wheels in the back and they still have room to come out a little more. essentially with those wheels and a 1" adapter your wheels will be 1/4" further out than mine.

FWIW, all of the above is consistant with what I've seen and measured. 17x9.5 with 4.75" BS (0 offset) is what I consider perfect for the rear and 17x8 with 4" BS (0 offset) is perfect for the front.

but that's just my opinion.

FWIW, all of the above is consistant with what I've seen and measured. 17x9.5 with 4.75" BS (0 offset) is what I consider perfect for the rear and 17x8 with 4" BS (0 offset) is perfect for the front.

but that's just my opinion.

4 inches in the front is going to be too far out, especially with a wide tire and lowered car. My front backspacing is 4.32, and it has caused me problems with rubbing. 4.5 would have been perfect. I believe the originator of the post wants to set his car up to handle, so I imagine he will lower it.

Rob

4 inches in the front is going to be too far out, especially with a wide tire and lowered car. My front backspacing is 4.32, and it has caused me problems with rubbing. 4.5 would have been perfect. I believe the originator of the post wants to set his car up to handle, so I imagine he will lower it.

Rob

I agree with you, if he plans on lowering the front to anything lower than 26" the added backspacing will come in handy. If he doesn't lower it or increase the track width with a brake upgrade I think it is going to look funny tucked in at stock ride height.

I agree with you, if he plans on lowering the front to anything lower than 26" the added backspacing will come in handy. If he doesn't lower it or increase the track width with a brake upgrade I think it is going to look funny tucked in at stock ride height.

Thanks. By his sig "rebuilt to take a corner and look good doing it!" I assume he is going to lower it.

In one of your first posts in this thread, you mentioned that 5 inches of backspacing will work. Do you have these on your car? How much clearance do you have to the frame? I know some folks can pull this off, but most cannot. Suspension related issues on these cars are funny - what work's for one does not work for another. But what does seem to work for all is 8" with 4.5 bs on the front with 9" or 9.5" with 4.75 bs on the back.

There is one board member who is running 18x10 Simmons on the rear with 4.875 bs with no rubbing at all. I do not believe the car is lowered though.

If I had to do my rims again (specs in sig), I would have went with a 17x8 (4.5 bs) in the front with a 17x9.5 (4.75 bs) in the rear.

Thanks. By his sig "rebuilt to take a corner and look good doing it!" I assume he is going to lower it.

In one of your first posts in this thread, you mentioned that 5 inches of backspacing will work. Do you have these on your car? How much clearance do you have to the frame? I know some folks can pull this off, but most cannot. Suspension related issues on these cars are funny - what work's for one does not work for another. But what does seem to work for all is 8" with 4.5 bs on the front with 9" or 9.5" with 4.75 bs on the back.

There is one board member who is running 18x10 Simmons on the rear with 4.875 bs with no rubbing at all. I do not believe the car is lowered though.

If I had to do my rims again (specs in sig), I would have went with a 17x8 (4.5 bs) in the front with a 17x9.5 (4.75 bs) in the rear.

I've got around 3/16th of an inch clearance on both sides in the rear with 5" backspacing I got lucky and the rear end is centered. I for sure have more than 1/8" clearance. I have'nt taken a measurement but visually it looks like 3/16" at least it might even be 1/4". . With my 275/40/18 in the back I'm not going to get that much tire flex either. As I lower it I believe the clearance will get better since the frame will be more lined up with the rim/tire mount area than the slight bulge area of the tire.

I've got around 3/16th of an inch clearance on both sides in the rear with 5" backspacing I got lucky and the rear end is centered. I for sure have more than 1/8" clearance. I have'nt taken a measurement but visually it looks like 3/16" at least it might even be 1/4". . With my 275/40/18 in the back I'm not going to get that much tire flex either. As I lower it I believe the clearance will get better since the frame will be more lined up with the rim/tire mount area than the slight bulge area of the tire.

Sounds like you lucked out! Please let me know how they work out when you get it on the road (and post some pics).

Sounds like you lucked out! Please let me know how they work out when you get it on the road (and post some pics).

I think the key to fitting a 5" backspacing wheel is to match the tire with the correct width wheel...If someone tries to mount a too wide of a tire on a 5" backspacing wheel the bulge it creates will cause the rubbing problem. For example If you have a tire that has a section width of 10.8 on a 9.5" wide wheel then the bulge or tire that extends past the wheel is about 1/8" since a 9.5" wheel is 10.5" wide. Now take the same tire and mount it on a 9" wheel and the bulge or tire that extends past the edge increases to at least 3/8". the section width remains relatively the same but the bulge past the inner wheel lip where the backspacing measurement is taken increases.

Yes Im planning on lowering the car later. I Have new rear spring factory hight, 2 stage. The front springs are factory. all bushings , Sup, Steering,body, replaced. Rear Upper & lower control arms are now HR parts (NICE), with a big sway bar mounted in the factory location. Blistine shocks new. Steering from box down is new. Ball joints upper & lower new. Motor mounts are HR parts 0100s. What are my options for lowering my car? I do want baer big brakes all the way around.. Next summer.

Back