You can type here any text you want

Help! Do I need an oil transfer tube?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UncleDave

In the Booster Seat
This is a stock '84 block, with comp rollers, if that makes any difference.

Got the engine together on the stand and attempted to prime. Other than a few small leaks from a couple fittings, I got pressure quickly - except the driver side rockers are not getting oil. Well, that figures... I even rotated the crank while priming, kept the drill on it for about 3 minutes, still nuttin'. Oil was pouring onto the garage floor from the passenger side, but nothing on the driver side. So, sounds like the cam journals or bearings lack the transfer groove, so I need an oil transfer tube at the rear of the block?

I know where the threaded plugs are, but exactly how do I fabricate one of these things?
  • What type of fittings?
  • Do I use hose or rigid tube, and what I.D.?
  • How can I be certain it won't leak?
Is there a visual guide somewhere from someone who has done this?

Thanks

I love the Search function...

OK, I ran an Advanced Search and found an old post by Turbofabricator saying that one "can use either -4AN, or 1/4" double flare tubing (brake line stuff from an autoparts store)." (Quoted so credit given where due.)

So I figure a pair of right-angle fittings screwed into the block and a short length of 1/4" flared tube should do the trick. Sounds simple enough, so unless I hear otherwise, that's the plan.

Thx

Yep, you got it. I am not sure if the '84 block has the transfere groove behind the front cam bearing. Maybe someone can chime in. But, all you'll need is two 1/4NPT 90* fittings with 1/4" double flare female brass fittings. Buy the shortest secton of 1/4" brake line that the parts store sells, and bend it into a "U" shape and install is with the "U" going up. Real cheap and easy. That is IF you do it before the trans is installed.;) About $15 or less to make it work. Before you do this, try rotating the crank while you spin the pump. This alone may help, but probably not. Keep us posted. PM me for my phone number, and I can talk you through it if you are having issues. I usually answer 6am-8pm pacific time, unless we are doing engine runs, or am in the VERY important meetings.:rolleyes::biggrin:

You're right, rotating the crank does nothing. :frown:

When I popped out the old cam bearing, I remember there was no groove in the journal on the block. The original camshaft had a groove. So, something's not "groovey" with the rebuild, thus it seems to reason that's why no oil is getting to the other side.

I have it visualized in my head exactly how it should look. Thanks Ken, you rock!

~Dave

Back