help me decide b/t a 3000 and 3500 TC for street car

henschman

hello, i have almost everything i need for my setup except for a torque converter. i have to decide which one to buy. the car will be almost exclusively street driven with DRs, probably on stock rims. I doubt it will ever see slicks. i would like it to be a nice, streetable car. however, i have never messed with torque converters before. i have no idea what a 3000 would feel like vs. a 3500, or how it would really affect street driving.
here is my setup: pt-54, 3" DP (int. gate), qboost boost controller, 65lb. inj's, street chip.

the stats for the pt-54 say it needs at least a 3k stall. however, a couple of people have posted that it would be even better with a 3500. obviously, i want the car to be as fast as it can be, but still able to drive around town without being too much of a PITA. help would be very much appreciated!

Well, that would depend on you and how many miles you're going to drive the car. I have a 3200 pro-torque and wouldn't mind going a little higher.The brand and your cars mods also make a differance. Every car will stall every torque convertor a little differant. If it were me I'd go higher than a 3000. On the other hand a lower stall would help with traction. I'd still go higher though. I guess I'd rather try to figure out how to make my car hook than get it to spool.

I run a TCS 9x11 Torque Converter with Billet Cover (3600 stall) from CK Performance. I also have the 60# HZ Mototron Injectors and a GT67P. The car drives like a stocker. Absolutely streetable and fun with this combo. The only time you really notice it is when you get on it. Like BlackBandit said, your brand of converter and your mods will come into play here, but I see very little actual difference over a stock D5 in everyday driving.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wldwst

well, i'd like the car to be capable of being a daily driver -- it probably will be more like a weekend car, but might have to pull daily duty if my POS honda breaks down. it's encouraging that your car is that streetable with a 3600. looks almost exactly like what mine will -- white t-type with DRs on stock rims! very nice. as for the brand of converter, i will probably be going with whatever i can find used for the cheapest! it's a bit of a budget project.