Help me get my car running again!!!

BuickGNMan

Last fall my 87 GN just died while driving. Been digging thru threads and the service manual. No luck. The trouble pointed right to a fusible link at the starter. I bought caspers pro setup and replaced all of them. Also installed their ground stretcher kit that I've had sitting around the garage for a year. Well, all that for naught! Same dead GN. Here's some symptoms: No crank or solinoid click when turning the ignition key to "start". Place a remote starter switch on the solinoid and it cranks as usual but no start. This should prove my starter & solinoid good. I checked at the ignition for battery at the red wires to ground, and no batt voltage. Verified good grounds, but not sure I was back probing the red wires at the ignition far enough. Pretty sure I was. That pointed the trouble to the fusible links, hence my changing them (and wasting my time). Also, I turn on the headlights and when I turn the key to "start", the lights don't dim at all so it's not even trying to draw voltage from the batt. Again, it cranks fine with a remote starter switch at the solinoid so it can't be my batt. I already read a thread pointing my trouble to the theft deterent relay, and I don't have one of those on my car. The season is almost half over, and all I've done is sat in the car in my garage and made "broooom brooom" noises myself. NO FUN (but I do win all my races).... :) Any ideas on what to look for next? Oh, also the door lock relays click when closing the switches, but the locks don't actuate. Lastly, when the key is on "run", I don't get any lights on the dash (ie:check engine etc). It really seems dead hard! Something seems open or hard shorted (guessing). I checked all my fuses in the block (I think) also.

Verify operation to the ignition switch(does the key "feel" like its switching somthing) Theres a rod from the cylinder to the switch.If thats good Change the ignition switch ,You can get a standard one from your auto parts store somewhat cheap. OH before you change it check the connectors ;)

The ignition does feel like it's working normal. I'm gonna definately recheck the connections at the switch. I'm not sure if the rod would cause the car to just die like it did though? I'll check that also though. Thanks for the tip!

do you have power to the ECM. power to fuel pump. when using the remote starter do you have the key in the run position-fuel pressure-spark. If all that is fine then try moving the steering colum collar to see if the neutral safety switch is messed up. just some easy. Did it die while running or after sitting. Car will not crank if it thinks the trans is in reverse or drive.

Thanks for you assist GBSean. I checked into the neutral safety switch by putting the car in neutal then park, trying to start the car in both positions. I looked at the service manual again, except this time I studied the power distribution diagram instead of following the diag charts (which were what told me to change fusible link "A" in the first place). Well, looking at the diagram, in between the ignition switch (and horn, and fuse block, and...) is a splice called S200 in the manual. Wish I woulda saw that before changing the fusible links! Anyway, I unscrewed the fuse block from the firewall, and as soon as I pulled it back, all the bells & whistles went on!!!! I'M PSYCHED (sorta). I found the problem, now I just need to get behind the fuse block to fix it for good. I'm gonna close this thread and search some others for a method to get back there. If I can't find something, I'll post another one. Thanks for all your help!
Mike

Same Thing

My car did the exact same thing and all the fusible links,starter,fuses and neatral safety switch are good.I guess I know whatelse to look for tomorrow.Thanks.

Hi,
Watch out for that big firewall connector, think it is C100.Maybe when you pulled back the fuseblock, you jiggled it. You are definitely in the ballpark. It really pays to study a wiring diagram. Good fix, enjoy the rush!

Hey V8SNVME2, I would definately wiggle that C100 on the engine side of the fire wall just under the wiper moter before unscrewing the fuse block. 83TTYPECOOLED is pointing us in the right direction. I had my girlfriend wiggle the fuse block (unscrewed from the firewall of course), and I watched C100 move around alot. My problem is right there! It's just whether it's in the C100 connector itself or inside the car behind the fuse block. Just a matter of me taking the time to fix it. I've had to work this whole weekend at my regular job, and work on my daily driver also.

I opened another thread called "Getting behind the fuse block, 87 GN", and V6Salvage also directed me to the C100 connector. I hope that's it, because getting behind the block is a pain! I'm sooooo happy it's running again though. What a great feeling when you fix something yourself (or should I say with the help of some good people on this web site too). :D

Thanks!