You can type here any text you want

Help me identify this downpipe

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
From the pics I can find online this pipe looks like both an ATR and a Terry Houston. It's a 3" stainless pipe with a metal flange, let me know what you think.

IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1201.JPG IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1198.JPG

My THDP has a different flange. Less contoured. The quality of stainless there is likely ATRunless Terry machined his flange like that. I've had a couple THDP and neither flange was contoured like that. Just my two cents.

I think I've read somewhere he made several different styles. The lines in the stainless looks like the quality steel he used.

I thought the same thing about the flange when looking at pictures of flanges on the forum, but when you look on gnttype.org at the pictures of a Houston pipe it has the same flange as mines or so it seems at least. Hence why im so confused.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/downpipes/THDP.html

That's my THDP that I bought new back when Terry was still making them. Normally I was guess that as time went by he got better tooling to make the flanges.... Then again it sill kinda looks like a bandsaw finish. I wonder if whoever was running the saw that day cared enough to follow the pattern instead of just lobbing off a block?

...but back then you could still get a mild steel version. PTE has a $50 off sale so I bought that stainless for the same price as mild. My flange in those pictures would be an early '99 model.

Damn, 1999?! If he got better, how old would that make my down pipe with the lopped off chunk of steel :eek::ROFLMAO:

TH did have a couple different flanges but my guess the bends dont look quite right .not sue but the stainless loos like a TH or ATR so i am going with ATR the sweep looks more radius then a TH

I was leaning ATR but the swing arm doesn't look typical ATR with cutoff corners. Unless they made different versions of those too...

Well im considering selling the pipe, i was told when i bought the car it was a houston pipe and i think it is from my research but i want to be certain before i offer it for sale. It seems there were several variations made and this may not be so easy to narrow down.

How do you guys feel about the ATR pipes, how do they compare to a newer pipe like the RJC ?

The ATR pipes were fine except for a run of them with seizing puck arms. I remember many years ago people having to remove the arm and drill out the bore for a little extra clearance.

All the ATR Downpipes I have seen have much thinner mounting flange thickness.
Looks like my THDP.

Back