Help me pick a Turbo please

my1stgn

Well Im looking at getting either the GT 6131E Ball Bearing Turbo but I was alos looking at the GT 61 P-Trim Turbo Ball Bearing or the GT 6152E. Now what is the main difference between the three? Its going on a pretty much stock tranny and torque convertor (may upgrade tranny to a TH400 in a year or two) and the fuel system is pretty much done (Accufa AFPR, 60lb Mototrons, 340 Fuel pump and Hotwire kit) Have a 3" THDP and Im getting the 2 3/4" Exhuast with 3" High Flow cat. Also will install Alky Kit w/ TT Chip and Maf Trans. Gen 2.

All i really need to know is the difference in turbos and how hard it is to install the water cool kit for the ball bearing turbos. Does it have its on pump or is it fed of the Engine Coolant Pump? Any other turbos I should look at? My goal is low-mid 11's for now. Thanks fellas!

Jack Cotton sells a nice 61 bb turbo that does not use water to cool it,, and i ran this turbo with my stock d5 for afew weeks and it did good on the street.. but i would HIGHLY recommend some type of stall converter with ANY turbo, even the stock turbo could use a little more stall,, if you don't you WILL be dissapointed with ANY turbo for the street or track :) hope this helps,,, Terry

Thanks Terry for replying. I guess no one else is familiar with these turbos (either that or no one wants to reply) Im just trying to figure out if a $1200 Ball Bearing Turbo is worth it over a $800 Turbo (same specs and all) Plus to be dropping over $800 on a turbo and not getting as much input as possible is rediculous.

Anyone have any input? :confused:

Having been out of the loop for 7 years I am not familiar with the newer turbo lingo. If you are looking for mid to low 11's a TE44,TE61 or TA61(stock appearing) will get you those ET's with room to go 10's. Gonna want a 3000-3200 stall with those for good spool up. I cannot comment on the extra 400 bucks for a BB turbo but seems I could find other mods to use that 400 on. Just my .02.

IMHO, the BBs are worth the money on a street setup. The response is much better on the spool and for a street car I think that is important.

You might want to give your post some time others just may be on vacation or racing.

I know this sounds a little bit big but many have been running the GT67bb turbo because it spools so well, it may even out spool some of the smaller turbos. They have the GT wheels so they are more effective and lighter is why they spool so good. It would also give you alot of power on pump gas and alot of room to grow latter. People also get by with the smaller stalls speeds on this turbo which for me is good for street.

But I would call Jack at Cottonsperformance or some of the other venders if they doesnt respond to your thread & see what they says. The 67 may be to big for your needs I just dont know myself. Anyway turbo selection can make or break the results of your project so take your time no matter what it takes.

Jess

We ran a special on the 61BB turbo last month. I will still honor that price. Sent you a PM