You can type here any text you want

Help!!! Misc plugs and wiring

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blacknight80

H

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389477812.429406.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389477812.429406.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 172
  • ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389477828.393695.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389477828.393695.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 171
  • ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389477842.844972.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389477842.844972.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
That is for a coolant temp sensor. There are two, one for the gauge and one for the ECM. I believe that is the ECM sensor. The third picture is some sort of tempertaure/vacuum switch.

I think you have a problem. I think your engine has been change and you have a mismatch with an intake manifold from an earlier motor. That's why the ECM coolant sensor is missing and the vacuum swicth is capped off.

The 82 and 83 engines share a common intake manifold. This page will help:
http://www.beforeblack.net/intakes.htm

I wonder if a guy could thread the ECM temp sensor in that vac thermal switches place

Let's narrow down what intake you have. The casting numbers are hidden under the turbo, so that won't help. Is you intake aluminum of cast iron? (A magnet would be helpful)

Anyone know what these are for. The only wires that are this color in my shop manual are for ac cycling pressure switch( green wires twisted). I know they aren't supposed to be doing that haha. The only other one I can find for the dark green is the water temp sensor which I need to find( sensor is a single spade connection for the gauge). These two wires come out of the engine harness wire protector.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389823970.654951.jpg

This black wire with spade connector, can't find anything on this. From Engine wire harness
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389823991.522664.jpg

And lastly the red wire with the green plastic clip. From engine wire harness.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389824024.207177.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1389824055.844930.jpg

I'm looking for my choke wire aswell and it is supposed to be light blue but I'm wondering if this black one is it.

Thanks

So there is this connection that links the engine harness to the HVAC harness. It usually burns up (melts) and gets cobbled back together. On my '83, it's still in great shape. I have never needed to mess with it, so I don't know much more about it. Here is a picture of it. Maybe this will help with the wires i the first two pictures. (The yellow wire is not part of this connection.)
IMG_0360.JPG

The green connector in the last pictures is some sort of diagnostic connector. It doesn't connect to anything on the engine.

Correction the green plastic covered wire is not red but it is tied in the mix solenoid. So as you mentioned it seems to be for diagnostics

My oil pressure sender plug has three wires that come out of it and my diagram only calls for two. The colors are brown, pale green and tan. The pale green one is in the centre. Any ideas? There are only two contacts on the sender itself. The reason I ask is because the pale green coloured (centre) wire has been cut from an unknown location. I pulled back the wire loom and I could seem to find a cut wire from neither harness (that matches). The tan and brown wires run up into the firewall on the driver side.

Last edited:
Shop manual shows three wires. Two (tan and brown/white) go to the bulkhead connector on the firewall and the third is a light blue wire going to the electric choke.

The centre wire was twisted to the blue choke wire before I messed with it. Should it be reconnected to to the blue wire with a female spade and then to the actual choke then?

Yes. They should be connected together.

I went and checked the harness I will be using on my '82 (clean, low mileage harness). The center wire was blue, just like the choke wire.
IMG_0367.JPG

Does it matter which way the plug is orientated on the sensors terminals? Doesn't seem to have an up or down

The green plastic plug is the tach wire if you run an aftermarket tach hook it up there.... (highly recommended since the factory bar graph is usually way off mine was off by 800 rpm)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The green plastic plug is the tach wire if you run an aftermarket tach hook it up there.... (highly recommended since the factory bar graph is usually way off mine was off by 800 rpm)
This is a HA draw through car so it's got a distributor that you get the tach signal off of.;)

Back