You can type here any text you want

HELP! Questions about the 4.1

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Swede

-89 TTA 7 sec car
Hi!

I´m wondering about the Buick Motorsport 4.1.

I´ve been told that they call this engine for "indy light".

Engine has:

Forged crank with something like off center for the rods (don´t know the name in english)
Buick Motorsport block.
Buick Motorsport valve covers.
Buick Motorsport timing cover.
Custom dry oil pump.
Carillo rods.
Jesel roller everything.....yada yada
Pistons unknown.
2 special intakes.
Buick Motorsport aluminium heads.
Titanium valves.

If i´m gonna set up this engine for say.......8sec with turbo (approx 1000+ hp) i have a few questions:

Who makes the custom camshaft?
Where do i find an intake for the injection? Or do this one need to be custom built?
Where do i find a BIG throttle house/plenum? (mailbox) ;-)
Who custom makes the best quality pistons?
What tranny do you recommend, automatic or Lenco?

Thanks for all your answers!

Swede,

Your best bet for a custom cam shaft is either
Precision Turbo 219-996-7832
www.precisionte.com
or Duttweiler's 805-659-3648

Either of these guys can hook you up with what ever you need.
Both have set up many 6 to 8 second cars.

If you have the money and the time to learn how to adjust the clutch a Lenco or liberty would be faster than an automatic.
It takes alot of work!!!!

Most of the fast turbo cars use JE pistons. Precision or Duttweiler's would sell you those. They both make or hav access to custom shett metal intakes. PTE makes their own and Duttweiler works with Hogan's. You are looking between $3500 and $3000 american dollars. If this is a full on race piece you may want to consider a liquid to air intercooler. Precision ,Duttweiler or
Spearco should be able to do the trick.

Let me know if you need any more help!

Thanks for your answer John!

My friend has big experince from the Lenco running a 6sec Pro Mod. shouldn´t be any problems with the adjust.

Intake and plenum could we do for our selfes....my friend has a TIG welding machine and i´m an old TIG instructor.....not worth the money they want over there.
Same for the water-air IC or water IC, we build it by our selfes.

One question more only..... he he i think!;)

I saw on your website you had a 90mm. throttlebody i think it was.....where do we find that size? (could be hard to make one by our selfes)
Any rec. on the turbosize? 88?
Injectors? MSD 2015, 78.5 Lbs/hr? Bigger? 150lbs?

Guess i´m tired of the TTA with stock injectors running 122mph now......:D ;)

Thanks for your help!

PS: they are asking approx. $2300 for the engine here!:eek: :eek:

Which is the best system to control the injectors with?

Sorry for all the questions guys!:cool:

Uffe,

You are lucky to have the experience of a clutch person.
The 90mm TB is made by may differnt companies.
You can purchace it From Duttweiler's, PTE or
Youngs Performnance. To be honest with you,
th Throttle bodies can be purchased from about
any dealer over here. Since you are going to build
the intake from scratch you might as will pick up
the 105mm throttle body. It is made by Holley.
I think Accufab may make one as well.
The turbo I picked was because it was the biggest that I can get to spool fast with an automatic. Some people have run a 101mm
on a v6 and done pretty well. If you are building a full out race car
I would go with either a 91.5mm or 101mm. You should call Rick or Ola at Innovative Turbo or Speak to Harry at Precision.
Just buy the 160 lbs injectors they will be the last set you need on a V-6. Also if you ever build an 8 they are proven at over 2200hp. The motec is the best fuel managment system.
It is also about $5300. The Fast is a very Good system also.
It can be purchased for about $3200 for ther top of the line unit.
It has gone 6.4 @ 220 so I think it is good enough =)

I hope this helps!

Originally posted by John Wilde
Uffe,
Just buy the 160 lbs injectors they will be the last set you need on a V-6. Also if you ever build an 8 they are proven at over 2200hp. The motec is the best fuel managment system.
It is also about $5300. The Fast is a very Good system also.
It can be purchased for about $3200 for ther top of the line unit.
It has gone 6.4 @ 220 so I think it is good enough =)

I hope this helps!

160 lbs??:eek:
I was at a turbocalc programme and got that 80lbs should be enough, maybe i did something wrong in the calculation there then......

Uhhh....motec gone 6.4? He he he....should be fine then!:D

Think i got it all now, except the price of the complete engine: What do you think about it? A steel or?

Thanks for your help John!

Find out these specs, Block casting # , is it evenfire
or odd fire, stroke,rod length, bore, short deck or tall , tall being about 9.5 or more ,......does it have the indy sguare intake port heads? Also be careful about hidden damage, cracks in block that might make it useless junk, remember these are raced hard and lot of the times they are used up, and damaged beyond repair , is the front cover the big wide cover in the shape of a triangle, if so it also might not be of any use. There are alot of things to look out for before buying one. Do a little researching first.

JEFF

There is no one more knowledgeable about Indy Lights engines than Ohio George (George's Speed Shop in Dayton, OH). I was there yesterday picking up my block.

His son was refreshing an IMSA S2 V6 while I was there. What a cool place!!!!!!!!

Swede, If you want information. Georg is the man to talk to.

Dave

Hi Swede,
I am in the process of building an Indy Lights car. $2300 is a good price , But the engine could be well used and tired. These cars ran a rev limiter and were built with all the good stuff. Not a lot of compression which might be good for you. It should have Kinsler fuel injection (six stack) and a cast dry sump oil pan. Let me know if you buy it, I am looking for an oil pan, front cover (big triangular thing) and upper motor mounts. The oil pan bolts to the front cover and bellhousing. I have parts to trade and cash !! Let me know !!
Thanks
popchevy@salsgiver.com

Back