You can type here any text you want

Help!!! Replaced blown headgaskets and now car acts like its out of time.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

m6z

I blew a head gasket and got it replaced and back togeather. Car won't start. Acts like its out of time, but we didn't even mess with the cam sensor or the front of the motor. Car has no codes and good compression in all cylinders. It also has spark and fuel. I don't know what to do. Any help would be great! Map, iac, o2 and tps signals all look good.

Thanks,
Doug

Valves set correct? Plug wires back on correctly? DId you remove engine to replace gasket of do in car? Coil pack plugged back in?

Valves set correct? Plug wires back on correctly? DId you remove engine to replace gasket of do in car? Coil pack plugged back in?

Valves are non-adj, so yeah. Firing order is correct and coil pack is plugged in. I'm getting spark, just not at the right time. We did the gaskets with the motor in the car.

Did you pull the injector harness off? If so....did you plug them back in the correct injectors?

Did you unplug the main wiring harness for the injectors at the back of the intake?

Do you have a noid light to check that the injectors are working?

check crank sensor signal

and you have email for signal you need to see

hope it help

Claude

Make sure the grounds you took off the back of the passenger head are secured tightly and are against bare metal, not paint.

Did you pull the injector harness off? If so....did you plug them back in the correct injectors?

only unplugged the main connector at the back of the intake.

Did you unplug the main wiring harness for the injectors at the back of the intake?

yes, but its now connected

[/QUOTE]Do you have a noid light to check that the injectors are working?[/QUOTE]

no light, but I have had to remove and clean the plugs twice now. Their getting fuel and fouling them.

Make sure the grounds you took off the back of the passenger head are secured tightly and are against bare metal, not paint.

I've checked all the grounds twice and know that their all hooked back up now.

check crank sensor signal

and you have email for signal you need to see

hope it help

Claude

I will get this checked.

Thanks for all the comments and keep'em comming.

I would start with TRIPLE CHECKING those plug wires! Possibility timing chain jumped if nothing else hell who knows, had that happen when I put a fuel pump in my camaro. Cars are very strange. All vac hoses on right? I bet its something simple. Maybe the pushrods somehow got bent causing it to crank hard, had that happen to my old grand am with a 2.5, acted like it was out of time when I tried to start it- just throwing stuff out there.

How did the car run BEFORE the HG went? How long after it went did you run the car?

The reason Im asking is if you blew it and did an immediate shutdown and didn't restart the car that it could be much more besides the HG, but it didn't have enough time to put any metal in the oil because you shut it down...

just throwin ideas! Im as lost as you are!

How did the car run BEFORE the HG went? How long after it went did you run the car?

The reason Im asking is if you blew it and did an immediate shutdown and didn't restart the car that it could be much more besides the HG, but it didn't have enough time to put any metal in the oil because you shut it down...

just throwin ideas! Im as lost as you are!

Car broke at the track. Went my best time & on the next pass it just killed the motor and I had some white smoke. Car wouldn't restart so I towed the car home and got it taken apart.

All the push rods were strait. I'm also starting to think it might of jumped time. I would of thought It would of bent the valves if it jumped time, but at this point I'm lost. That would help explain why the headgasket blew.

I'm thinking its time to pull the front of the motor apart and check the chain.

Car broke at the track. Went my best time & on the next pass it just killed the motor and I had some white smoke. Car wouldn't restart so I towed the car home and got it taken apart.

All the push rods were strait. I'm also starting to think it might of jumped time. I would of thought It would of bent the valves if it jumped time, but at this point I'm lost. That would help explain why the headgasket blew.

I'm thinking its time to pull the front of the motor apart and check the chain.

Mine jumped a tooth at the track. Thought that was it. Actually sheared off about 6 teeth from crank gear & was way outta time but never bent a valve or pushrod. I would look at that chain for sure.

Keep that crank gear for a paperweight! :)

worst case scenario flattened cam-happened to my 79 when I blew the headgasket and drove it home. No money for a tow and was too close to a bad neighborhood, so whatchagonnado:redface:

Ok guys the cam sensor cap ended up being bad, so I replaced it with a good one I had and now the car fires and runs for a few seconds and dies. I've read up that some of the chips have a security mode. Car has a PTE 50lb 100 octane chip. Car runs without the chip in the ecm.

Do you know if these chips have a security mode? and if so how do you turn it off?

thanks,
doug

btw I haven't pulled the motor apart yet to verify that the timing hasn't jumped. Trying to do the easy things first.

Figured I'd let you guys know. The cars be up and running for a while now.

Ended up being the headgaskets, cam sensor cap & also the cam sensor had jumped time. I'm glad is back togeather and running fine.

Back