You can type here any text you want

Help, urgent, dizzy has no fire

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dmarx

i have power to the battery side of the dizzy, but no spark at the plug wires. I have replaced the coil but to no avail. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!!! Help!!!
Dan

i have power to the battery side of the dizzy, but no spark at the plug wires. I have replaced the coil but to no avail. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!!! Help!!!
Dan
Since you have power on the wire that matters and swapped in a new ignition coil, all that is left is the HEI module inside and or the rotor.

The pickup coil also has to generate a small amount of current to fire the module. Maybe that is what WarWagon meant by the rotor. If this is an early HEI distributor, I remember being able to fire the coil with the module by touching the large terminal of the module where the pickup coil connects with a finger, and touching your other hand to the plus side of the battery intermittently. It induces a small amount of current to the module and will fire the coil with the key on. I used to connect a jumper wire from the center button on the cap to a grounded spark plug to check for spark. If it fires the plug, the module is good and the pickup coil is bad. Hope you figure it out.

First a couple of questions for you Dan. Are you turning the key to the start position to fire it up? If you are, try turning the key to the on position and jump the starter to get the engine to spin. The switch may be bad or mis-wired. If this doesn't start it then take the modual off and have it tested at the local parts store. If the modual's good then it's the pickup coil.

Back