You can type here any text you want

Help with DVD recorder

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Took the plunge, bought a home theater in a box. Panasonic SCHT1500, has built-in DVD recorder, AM/FM, CD/MP3 player, 40gig HDD, 6 speakers, all-in-one kind of deal.

It requires downloading a TV Guide that reads off the cable box. That's all well and good but it only goes up to the On Demand channels and stops short of these. Won't donwload TV Guide for HBO & package channels I pay for. So when I use it's remote to even watch HBO it ignores that any channel above 98 even exists (PPV, On Demand, HBO, etc. are 99 and up). I have to use the cable box though it will play the sound of these channels just fine. Called Panasonic and after 15 minutes worth of menus I get someone who says it won't work on pay channels. If I'm paying for them, why is that a problem? Anyone know a resource to find out if this is true or a way around this? I can record stuff on my old VCR, this is supposed to be high-tech.

John you might look at the review from ZD-Net

They state:

Previous incarnations of TV Guide On Screen worked well enough with analog cable or antenna connections but were a no-go with digital cable and satellite systems. Likewise, HDTV fans will want to look elsewhere for their DVR fix, as the SC-HT1500 can handle only standard-definition TV signals.

If this is true your not going to be able to get the higher up numbered channels.

Sorry

I fixed it. Turned off TV Guide by setting it up to think I don't have cable hooked up. Now I can record anything that the TV is on. Less convenient but it does work.

Back