You can type here any text you want

Help with emissions please

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boosted231

I just failed MO emissions again.

HC standard .8000
My HC was 2.4565 Fail

CO standard 15.0000
My CO 9.7205 Pass

NOX standard 2.0000
My NOX 4.6375 Fail

My car, stock injectors and turbo, adj FPR, TDP with cat- about 2000 miles on cat, walboro fuel pump hotwired.

Just changed the O2 sensor, maf, crank sensor and put a tt emissions chip in it. The lowest I could adjust my fuel pressure was 40 line off.

I also put a bottle of seafoam and heet in the tank.
I took the egr off and there was no carbon build up. When engine is running and I push diaphram up engine stumbles. I did notice that the egr solonid filter was nasty. I had to order from GM. Have factory pcv valve that I cleaned and put back in. Cant find any vacume leaks.
Car is basically stock.
Could my injectors cause this problem, I would like to get some new ones.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction, Thanks

Wow a stock setup and #s are still wacky.Not sure the meaning of 40lbs the lowest you can set FPR,Lowest you can go and have car run correctly?Was car hot when you tested?The cat maybe no longer good esp if it seen race gas.What brand O2 sensor?What termostat are running.If all else fails contact eric about chip.

40# is the lowest my fpr will go. Can't get it any lower. Also forgot to mention that I also replaced the coil pack, ign mod, plug wires, and r44ts plugs gapped at .32. Car has not seen any race gas, only 93 octane unleaded.

Also ran the car on the highway for about 20 min before test. O2 is the GNX style sensor that I bought from Kirbans.

No, don't have a scanmaster yet, I know I need one. Just want to get this thing on the road. If I buy injectors it will put me over the 450.00 that I have to spend to get a waiver. I would rather have those than a new cat. Can a cat go bad with only a couple thousand miles on it and no race fuel run through it? It just seems that this car is basically stock, even run the stock chip in it and the numbers are that bad. I need to just go ahead and buy a scanmaster and tune this thing properly. I just keep thinking something is really out of wack for it to have failed so badly. Car seems to run fine while driving. I also have a 160 stat in it, wonder if the car is getting hot enough.

Ran car through again today. Only changes that I made was to unplug the fan and turn fuel pressure up to 43 line off.

New results
HC standard .80000 my reading 2.3533 fail
co standard 15.000 my reading 6.1990 pass
NOX standard 2.0000 my reading 4.5806 fail

while numbers aren't great there a tad better.

IF that is a Terry Houston "shorty" cat, about 13" long?, purchased with the Terry Houston downpipe, then it is probably a 2 way cat, and not a 3 way cat. The shorty cat supplied with the Terry houston down pipe for at least the last 4 years or so is a cheater cat, doesn't control 1 of the required emission parameters. Otherwise, and maybe still, you have a toasted cat. I have been told that these cats will pass Kal smog if everything else is working kool. Don't know if I would hold that statement to be gospel truth or not. HTH.

It is fact the cat that came with the th pipe. It is probably about two years old and has low miles, any suggestions on a 3 way cat that will fit? Thanks

boosted231 said:
It is fact the cat that came with the th pipe. It is probably about two years old and has low miles, any suggestions on a 3 way cat that will fit? Thanks
------------------------------
Might want to try and verify the story on the 2 way cat before going into the hassle of buying a 3 way cat. I purchased a brand new in the box SS THDP about 1.5 years ago and it came with a cat that I was told was a 2 way cat. I think that I posted a ? and somebody posted that it was a 2 way cat that had been coming with the thdp for quite a few years or so. TH is no longer selling or in business, but I just got a cat, from Red Armstrong for $140 + 9 shipping. it was 3/4" shorter than my original TH, but hooks up fine. I do not know if it is a 2 way or a 3 way. Red's address is: Quad Air, 7161 Fitch Road, Olmsted, Ohio, 44138. Red does business only by telephone. (440) 235-3232. You might want to pull your cat and look to see if it is fried. The original TH shorty cats were 13" btw. HTH. Are you sure that gas was 106-108 unleaded? The highest pump non-lead in Kali is 100 that I know of. You might want to consider dropping an e-mail to gofstbuick regarding your problems with passing smog. He is the best for smog problems.

boosted231 said:
I just failed MO emissions again.

HC standard .8000
My HC was 2.4565 Fail

CO standard 15.0000
My CO 9.7205 Pass

NOX standard 2.0000
My NOX 4.6375 Fail

My car, stock injectors and turbo, adj FPR, TDP with cat- about 2000 miles on cat, walboro fuel pump hotwired.

Just changed the O2 sensor, maf, crank sensor and put a tt emissions chip in it. The lowest I could adjust my fuel pressure was 40 line off.

I also put a bottle of seafoam and heet in the tank.
I took the egr off and there was no carbon build up. When engine is running and I push diaphram up engine stumbles. I did notice that the egr solonid filter was nasty. I had to order from GM. Have factory pcv valve that I cleaned and put back in. Cant find any vacume leaks.
Car is basically stock.
Could my injectors cause this problem, I would like to get some new ones.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction, Thanks
High H.C. & NOX readings are caused by a misfire most likely.Check all ignition components, Coil packs often go bad. Wires also. Vacuum leaks can be hard to find & tricky. Use some carb spray or brake kleen check around EGR valve & intake & plenum gaskets.While your at it make sure EGR valve is not leaking or coming on when it shouldn't.Lean or rich fuel mixture etc. Of course there are many other things that are too numerous to mention. Maybe you would be just best off to find a good tune up tech to assist you. It maybe cheaper in the end. Lou

Back