Help with Governor mods

Louie L.

Habitual Line Stepper
Staff member
Guys I have removed the governor out of my tranny. I would like to modify it for higher shifts of about 300 RPMs. After searching the archives I know that I must either drill or grind on the small weight. How do I exactly do this? Do I have to remove the weight from the assembly? If so how do i do this? I already see a small hole on the flatmost back of both weights. Is that normal ? Could i just enlarge this hole one the small weight for the gain?

I have attached a pic so that I know if im heading the correct way. I have to grind or drill on number 1 correct?

I would also like to know how to do the much mentioned "set screw method" for retaining the spring.

Thanks in advance :)

Louie

Attachments

• mvc-382s.jpg
    mvc-382s.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 222
Drill a 1/8 inch hole on each side of the center one & see what you you get. If you do the set screw thing , then you have to take more wt. off.

Jim

Thanks for the reply. So just to clarify use a 1/8 drill bit for the 2 hole correct. I can understand about removing more weight if i do the set screw, but how is that done?

Louiel

I`ve never done the set screw thing , but I think it`s a 6-32 set screw. Tap the hole for 6-32 & Locktite the set screw in. Make sure the screw isn`t sticking out of the wt. or it may rub iiside of the gov. housing. Oh ya take the gov apart to work on , snap ring on shaft above gear.

Jim