You can type here any text you want

help with launching my car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
what is going on here? With the mods in my sig I can only hold about 3 psi before the tires start breaking loose. I want to be launching around 8 or 9 psi to get an awesome 60' time. Right now the car's best with slicks is a 2.0, but that was with a set of control arms that were kinda goofy. Do I need a line lock to hold that kind of boost or just the bigger shoes in the rear?

Line lock is for locking front tires while doing a burn out, not launching the car. A transbrake is used to hold car at line and launch hard. :)

Try a trans brake. Best bang for the buck. I have 100% stock suspension, even the original shocks and arms. I get an easy 1.51 with a tranny brake. Never tried higher boost. I've gone up to only 9-10PSI launch. VERY fun! Cheap also. Don't get carried away with the He-Man, Uber-launches, the axles may brake around 10PSI. I upgraded that and the wheel studs to the next size up. Driveshaft loop is a good idea.

If you want to foot brake it then you will need the larger wheel cylinders from an S-10, manual tranny, non AC ( I think, just search S-10 wheel cylinders ) and get two sets of brake shoes and use the long ones out of both sets. After that you should notice a real improvement. And for whatever reason that doesn't work there's always the transbrake. :)

That's S-10 manual brake cylinders. Ron's Automotive used to offer a kit with a bypass valve that diverted all the hydraulic pressure to the rear cylinders at one time. With that, the S-10 cylinders, and a set of all-long brake shoes: you oughta be able to hold whatever boost you want. Are your brake drums fresh(round/no scoring)? If they're not: have 'em turned. That'll help a bunch too! ;) I always wonder about the added stress a transbrake must put on the drive train after the tranny. Has anyone experienced a higher-than-usual failure rate on axles/rearends/lugbolts, using one?

trans brakes

I installed a trans brake with a 400 turbo trans and was leaving at approx. 15-18lbs of boost when the 28 spline axles and factory posi unit let go. The LH axle twisted off and damaged the posi. I now have 33 spline Moser axles and a spool. Not the best for everday driving but tolerable. With a transbrake everything in the drivetrain will be stressed to the max.

Tom Tom Turbo said:
Do I need a line lock to hold that kind of boost or just the bigger shoes in the rear?
You NEED a line-lock. Using a line-lock while doing your burn-out will keep the rear brakes cool and allow you to hold more boost with no other changes. I am able to hold between 12# - 14# depending on track prep with stock brake pads/wheel cylinders. And when staging hold the brake pedal down HARD.

neogeo87 said:
I installed a trans brake with a 400 turbo trans and was leaving at approx. 15-18lbs of boost when the 28 spline axles and factory posi unit let go. The LH axle twisted off and damaged the posi. I now have 33 spline Moser axles and a spool. Not the best for everday driving but tolerable. With a transbrake everything in the drivetrain will be stressed to the max.

I say keep it under 10PSI, or just be ready to get towed home. The guy above is a prime example.

Cal Hartline is still running the Buick rear!

Back