Help with rear fiberglass bumper filler noise

N2BUICK

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Several years ago I had a local body shop paint and install front and rear bumper fillers on our 1986 GN. There has been at times a scraping noise at the rear bumper area. This noise can be repeated by pushing up and down on the bumper. I suspect some interference with the filler? The filler has a seam at the licence tag.
Has anyone experienced this and how is the best way to correct the noise?
Thanks
N2BUICK

Look for a clean spot where the bumper rubbed through the paint. It might just be in the wrong place.

You either have to readjust the bumper or the fillers. Look for rub spots on the fillers and adjust accordingly.

You either have to readjust the bumper or the fillers. Look for rub spots on the fillers and adjust accordingly.

I was thinking about shimming out the bumper crash absorber where it bolts to the frame. Hoping this would give clearance to stop the scraping . Didn't want to pull the bumper if i could get away with it.
Just checking to see if someone had been down this same road.

The body that the fillers bolt to moves separately from the frame twist that bumpers mount on. The fillers will need to be notched at the lower outer corners for clearance, that's where most rubbing/squeaking occours, you will normally see paint rubbed and white fiberglass shavings there.

I was thinking about shimming out the bumper crash absorber where it bolts to the frame. Hoping this would give clearance to stop the scraping . Didn't want to pull the bumper if i could get away with it.
Just checking to see if someone had been down this same road.
The bumper to filler clearance should always be checked when the bumper is installed. You may not have to remove the bumper... just raise it up a little. You have to determine where the filler is contacting the bumper before you start making adjustments.

OK looks like i going to have see where the bumper filler is actually rubbing. Was really hoping for a , do this advice, but does not look like that.
Will be selling the car soon, don't want a new owner to hear that horrific noise !

Just loosen the nuts on the bumper if bumper and filler are rubbing in the corner and slide it up a little bit to clear the filler. No need to remove the bumper completely and you can do one side at a time.

OK looks like i going to have see where the bumper filler is actually rubbing. Was really hoping for a , do this advice, but does not look like that.
Will be selling the car soon, don't want a new owner to hear that horrific noise !
Can't give you "do this advice" until we know where it is rubbing.

My rear fillers have the seam so they are two piece. I've had an annoying squeak for months. It's the only out of place noise my car makes. It is coming from the bumper rubbing the top of the filler on the driver side rear. I though I had this fixed last spring but the bumper must have dropped again and made contact. Just need to loosen the bumper and raise it a hair at that corner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk