You can type here any text you want

Help...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bob Mustic

Guys, I need some help. This year's Run & Gun (Kit Car Race) is coming up this week and my Stage II powered Cobra is ready EXCEPT I'm having problems with my Thermostat.

First, do you need to run a BYPASS on a Stage II motor. (Normally aspirated)

Second, if you do need to bypass I understand that you drill holes in the thermostat flange. I did that with 4 1/8" holes. The thermostat never opens. I can't believe that 4 little holes can cool and entire motor but it appears to be true.

Anyone who has any ideas please let me know on this forum as I'm leaving Atlanta for St Louis on Wednesday and would like to have it figured out by then.

I've got a 180 degree in their now and also have a 195 so let me know.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Not sure about your stage motor, but my "stocker" has no bypass. I plugged both hose ports and drilled (4) 3/16" holes in the thermostat around the outer edge like you've done. I've never checked to see if the 'stat opens, but it always runs around 165° even here in SE TX with A/C and front-mount...

Bob, I did the same as you with the four 1/8" holes, and the car would take forever to warm up, and often stay below 160 altogether. I finally drilled and tapped the coolant "bridge" for a bypass a la stock, with an undrilled thermostat. Now the car warms up pretty well.

Reminds me of the Ruggles booklet saying that these S2's run really cool, and having to put a thermostat even in some race engines.

Thanks

Your right about the Stage II not running very hot. I took the Cobra out yesterday after putting a 195 thermostat in it. The reason for the 195 is I can't get my oil temp up either. I talked to Kenny Duttweiler and he mentioned that in his tests the motors put our the same power no matter where the temp is. My worry is my oil never gets hot enough to get rid of any moisture that accumulates. Anyway, the ride was at around 50 mph and the temp rose to 200 then settled right at 195 BUT when I slowed down to around 30 "traffic" the temp dropped to 180 until I speeded up again. That means that 2 1/8" holes were cooling the motor. Crazy.

I've got the motor finished up with the last item of putting 6 Iridium Denso plugs in it. Runs really strong but its so loud with the side pipe baffles out it hurts. I need ear plugs...

Going to Run & Gun is St Louis Wednesday for a 4 day Race (Drag, Road Race, and Autocross) and will be the only Buick (I think) there. John Spina isn't going which is too bad but I'll try and "educate" the FORD guys on why they shouldn't mess around with BUICK power.

We'll see how it goes:)

Thanks again,

Bob

If you see mt buddy Gary Proia from Ft Myers, FL, tell him Terry said HI.

He has a Black 502 (at least it was last time I saw it) Cobra and won this thing about 4 years ago.

Terry

Terry

I'll say HI if I meet him. I think there should be around a hundred cars there though...

Run & Gun

First there were only around 60 cars or so and they INVITED some Mustangs. Gag...

The Road racing and Autocross went OK. Middle of the pack. Problem, ME, not the car.

Drag Racing on the last day. Lots of Big Blocks, Big SMALL blocks, and Nitrous.

Car was undrivable at the far end with the tire pressure at 13 lbs, so we put more air in the slicks 15# and it was better. Ran a best of 10.71 (not so great 1.52 60') at 124. Good news reaction times were from a .504 to around .560. Oh with one .496 and .492, oh well.

Anyway the mini motor came in First in Bracket racing and also won Quick 8. Got the .492 on the Top Dog final though.

Car ran GREAT. Never missed a beat although it hit the rev limiter MANY times on the autocross (8200 RPM) but seemed to care less.

I know its not a Turbo but its still a Stage II in FORD Land. They simply can't believe it... There was a LOT of head shaking going on. I LOVED it... OH and thanks to Kenny D. for helping me out with my odd fire ignition problem.

Bob

VERY, very cool, Bob! It's hard for "those people" to grasp that a NA 4.1 Stage 2 will make 500+ HP.

Bob, I'm planning on coming to Atlanta sometime after the 26th for a few days. I'm pretty flexible on the time so e mail me your schedule and I'll see if I can come when you have a couple of days off. Can't wait to tell you what happens when you leave your phone number on the restroom wall at a ASA race. Tell chuck to keep the beer cold. Ron

Ron

Sorry I took so long in responding but I just got back from a Japan turn and leaving tomorrow for another one. Be back on Tuesday the 4th.

Let me know if your still around. I'm going to call Chuck right now and find out what's up. I'm planning on going to Reynolds on the 8th. Cobra is doing just fine. Motor couldn't run better (unless it had some juice or boost:)

Regards,

Bob

Back