You can type here any text you want

hey a'dubya and SS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TType84

cookin with propane
alright.. well.. my friend works at a tweeter and can get me a pretty good deal on some stuff... so due to space constraints i think im going to get a set of boston acoustics' FX5's in the doors, and FX3's in the dash, then get a JBL 80.4. in the rear deck im going to put two JL 8w0's or 8w6's.. preferably the 8w6's but if i cant find any considering theyre discontinued, then maybe not...

i know you guys said dash speakers sound weird and are in the wrong placement, but.. having to do with imaging and whatever.. but maybe my ears are just weird.. i dont know, the stock dash speakers sound good to me and the sound appears like its coming right infront of the steering wheel.. im sure this will change when i get door speakers, so, for that im getting the doors FIRST and holding on the dash speakers.

what do you guys think of this setup? remember im not going for competition stuff, i just want some nice speakers that can sound good and be heard above the drone (which is why im ditching the 6x9's in the back.. the ehxaust drowns them out, they might as well not exist if im on the highway)

oo.. testa gave me a better idea

the 8's are now going in the space under the 1/4 panel window.. no one uses the backseat or those armrests.. :-D

just like the speakerworks GN.. although those were like 12s or something..

Originally posted by TType84
oo.. testa gave me a better idea

the 8's are now going in the space under the 1/4 panel window.. no one uses the backseat or those armrests.. :-D

just like the speakerworks GN.. although those were like 12s or something..

If you are interested in some 8" pods for the back armrests. Give MCSS383 a shout because he has a pair that were custom built for his SS that he should still have for sale. That would be a good place to start with some decent midbass and just ditch the 6 X 9s in the rear.

Yes, the Speakerworks car had 12" subs built in the same area! :eek:

Honestly, don't worry about imaging or staging in your car unless you are just a diehard audiophile. If you like the way it sounds, then that is all that matters in my opinion. If you want speakers in the dash and the door then go for it. :)

well. the fx5's are in and they sound way way better than the stock speakers

right now on my preimier 740mp i have the rear 6x9s set as subwoofers, so they are being subs for now. they are crossed over at 80hz and the front door and stock dash are on the other side of 80hz

hmm... the bass sounds way way more.. i read something that better midbass drivers will make the sub-bass frequencies sound louder...

but ! the sound is all up front and it sounds kind of.. i guess wimpy. maybe i just dont turn it up loud enough, im really scared of hurting these speakers since they are only getting 22w rms, they say 12-100w rms.. so im gonna assume they can take a decent amoutn of power..

so, keeping with the front speakers for now.. i could go two ways. whats your opinion on this..

scenario 1, ditch the dash speakers and hook the doors up to this amp

JBL P180.2
Output 4 Ohms: 90W x 2

scenario 2, get the fx3 dash speakers and get this amp
JBL P80.4
Output 4 Ohms: 40W x 4

im just worried that if i put them on an amp im not going to hear a difference.. they did sound great in my friends store so right now im guessing they will sound better.. but i dont have alot of money to spend if they dont.. i guess i just want some reassurance from you guys :)

They will sound better with an amp powering them. Something to keep in mind....most head units are rated to give 50x4watts on their outputs, now on that JBL amp the 80x4, how much bigger is it than your headunit, what about the power wire size? My point is, head units just don't have any power (the highest is Alpine at around 20rms) and when you are trying to get a lot of volume from the head you are causing the head to distort the signal to produce any kind of power and the result is crap. Now when you put an external amp it has more power and can get a lot louder than the head and still be within acceptable distortion levels.

So in short, it will sound better with an amp powering them. :)

Oh and yes I still do have the panels to hold 8" subs where you are wanting to put them.

like the speakerworks GN, right in the little arm rest area in the backseat..

two 8w3v2's

Something that worries me...

How are your front speakers wired? Correct me if I read wrong, but you have a set of dash speakers, and door speakers hooked up to one set of speaker outputs on your deck?
What is the ohm load on your deck on those channels? Seems to me that you would be running a 2 ohm stereo load on the h/u, which isn't recommended for the h/u amps. It may sound pretty good for awhile, but I wouldnt chance burning it up.

BTW, those 8"s in the sidepanels sound like a good idea.
I would take out the dash speakers, and just run the doors. If you are playing it loud, the small dash speakers will distort a lot sooner than the doors, so that will limit you.

i got lazy in that dept, so i just used the metra wiring harness and soldered /heatshrunk everything according to color..

youre right, i should probably just unplug the dash speakers right now...

the doors do sound better now that they are wired in phase :D

my 6x9's

cadence csc691

btw these are the 6x9s i have in the car.. they seem to be really good 6x9s for being like two years old..

you guys still think i should take them out when i get the 8w3v2's in the back panels?

a word of warning, when you put the 8's there, deaden ALL the rear plastic panels and deaden the roof and then cover it with foam or cloth so it doesn't rattle!

Trust me, I've been there. It sucks driving down the road with a hand pressing the headliner to the roof so it doesn't buzz. lol

hey man i tried to email you about the 8" panels.. have any for sale? :D or any pointers on how to make them?

the email bounced sooo.. let me know!

i am going with 8w3 v2's cause my friend said he could get them for abotu 90 apiece..

btw do any of you guys have AIM its alot easier to just converse on there rather than waiting for a reply here :-D

my AIM is....drumroll.....mcss383. :D

I'm going on vacation tomm morning and will be gone for a week, so sorry can't really help you for a little while.

When you tried to send me an email, was it the mcss383@montecarloss.com addy? If so, its because the SS site was down today.

Yes, I do have them for sale and even the armrests with screwholes in them so you don't have to ruin your stockers. They are burgandy, but you can dye them no problem.

Any more details will have to wait until I get back. Sorry.

Back