You can type here any text you want

High BLM and dying issue at idle

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
Well I'm kind of baffled, all of a sudden car started running terrible, at idle the BLMs are at 148, but I can't find any sign of a vacuum leak, I've traced down all the vac lines to no avail.
IAC goes to 0 while idle speed is at around 800, chip is programmed for 650 rpm.
TPS is at .42v at idle.
MAF is reading around 6-7 at idle, I switched MAFs also but no change,
Car also sputters trying to normally accelerate.

Checked fuel pressure, its 42 line off and stays around 38 or so driving around line on so its getting fuel just fine.
Battery seemed to go dead very fast while I was messing with it too, started getting all kinds of crazy readings on the Direct Scan with key on but motor off, and then something sounding like a spark off and on back by the coil pack and the fan kicked on for a second and the relays to it have been unplugged for years to keep it from running after the key is off and draining the battery.

This is on my TTA, completely stock and 16k miles.

Just for kicks I'll test the coil and ign module, but I don't see it having any effect on BLMs and idle speed due to the IAC going all the way to 0.

Any other places I could be getting a vac leak when all the hoses seem to be fine...
I guess maybe do a vac test on the brake booster and switch PCV next....

Ign module went out but only on 2 cylinders.
BLM went to 150.
I chased everything before looking at spark.
I would check for spark on each plug!

Well that was going to be the next thing I checked, I've got a Caspers Ignition module / coil tester. Maybe this evening or tomorrow before I get to it.

Keep looking for a vacuum leak or a source of unmetered air. That's the only thing that will explain high BLM, low IAC and a high idle.

Ok, I think I have 2 different issues here....
Coil and Ignition module tested fine although there is still a slight chance it could still be bad and pass the Capers tester...
But...
I have cured the high BLM it appears...it was a dam check valve on the PCV line, I didn't even know it was there till I pulled the line off since it was hidden behind the vac line tube and was black also... I guess I put one on there 7-8 years ago when I put on on the GN, just don't remember doing it..anyway, I had read that the stupid check valve could start causing such issues..took it off and now the BLMs are in the 128-134 area...
Drove like a dream for 5 mins then it died and started sputtering....
Got the dreaded code 42 now... so now off to recheck the IGN mod connections and ECM.

Checked IGN mod connections, wiring is in the tight stock loom all sealed up, recoonected still code 42.
Pulled the ECM out and swapped with a spare I had and it wouldn't start.
Swapped out another spare and this time it drove for 15 mins no probs with the stock chip in it!!

Put back in the original ECM and it drove for 10 mins and I thought hmm, but just before I got home it stumbled and kicked out code 42.
Swapped back in the spare ECM and this time put in the thumbwheel chip and it has drove fine so far for about 15 mins again!!!
Must be a bad ECM...funny it drives fine for a few blocks then starts acting up.
I did notice on the DIrect Scan that after it stumbles, and I shut it off the Direct Scan starts showing erractic speeds on the MPH and the TQ/HP numbers go crazy with just the key on.

Even though it worked fine for a few miles, everything points to the ECM being bad. I finally was able to drive it more this past week with the ECM swapped out and have now driven it over 50 miles off and on and not one problem.
A short would have been a real PITA to find, so hopefully this issue is gone!

Back