High torque starter mounting problems!

Maltman

Has anyone purchased a mini-starter and found the billet mount to be a tad too big?

I had to shave a bunch off the block on the starter to "barely" make it squeeze into the mounting area. I still have to get it to bolt up....then, I think I have to shim it in more ways than one!!

The starter is from a local parts store that is supposed to work on all v6 90 degree engines (GM)...and it looks the same as the ones offered elsewhere....what gives?

Anyone provide support.....or did I dig myself a hole?

Thanks,

Mark

A minitorqe starter off an Lt1 94-96 chevy bolts right on, no problems. If you want to know where to get one really cheap email me.

I got mine from turbobuicks.com, It fit perfect. No shims, and bolts were included.

Ya i too bought one from turbo buicks .com
went right in no problems at all, has a really different sound when cranking though.
are you sure they gave you the right one?

you're right about the sound...it's the gear reduction setup that makes them sound different.

hmmmm....I don't know what the deal was, but I had to grind away some of the casting and the billet mounting block. It seems that the ATR crossover isn't quite perfect and imposes on the starter "space".

....guess I own it now no matter what I find :eek:

Gene...the starter is flat....hitachi(sp?)....and another thing, I don't think I can run the factory heat shield. I even rotated the starter one position to give more room.

...so I guess I run it without the shield.....think that is a potential problem? I'm figuring no, but I have very limited knowledge of the heat resistance of starters

Thanks

Originally posted by zam70
you're right about the sound...it's the gear reduction setup that makes them sound different.

The TBs.com ones arent gear reduction. The ones for a corvette are. TBs.com are from camaro's, and S10 pickups/blazers, I believe Typhoons and full size 4WD trucks in the 96 and up range. I wish mine was gear reduction. Maybe my inverter wouldnt shut off every time I started the car :p

Guess you learn something everyday...It does have a whne to it like a gear reduction though.

It IS???? well then ZAM I apologfize as *I* was wrong. I was under the impression the Denso's out of the vettes were the only gear reduction types. I didnt disassemble my mini starter. My bad. Again, my apologies

Hell, I was convinced you were right...either way...I love my starter, gear reduction or not.