You can type here any text you want

holding boost with stock brake system

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tonys87

is there anybody here actually holding any kind of boost with a fully stock brake system. i just did my brakes all around new fluids and cant hold more then 0psi with the ebrake assisting..i would like to hold up to 5psi but not sure if its possible with a stock brake setup..thanks tony:confused:

Get a line lock.

Heating up the brakes during the burn out kills their holding ability.

The Trick to launching with the stock brakes are to hold as much boost as the brakes will hold (even if its only 3-4psi) then rapidly floor the gas pedal, THEN release the brake.

The rapidly floored pedal will slightly bog the motor while spooling the turbo. It takes practice to get the timing right, but it works much better than inching the turbo to launch boost against questionable brakes.

Line Lock is a must!

S-10 brakes in the back and go to the boneyard and get the front brake setup off a s-10 blazer, the little suv. I used some off a 2000 model. Adds alot of holding power without breaking the bank. You may have to replace a couple of things depending on the condition of the parts, but still worth the investment.

Jack Cotton has a complete kit including premade brake line I believe. :cool:

The line lock locks the front brakes and releases the back ones, so when you do a burnout you spin the backs easy and don't heat the shoes up, the front brakes hold the car for the burnout via a solenoid in line, and a momentary switch.

My old stock brakes held about 8-10 psi., unfortunately LVD in NY track doesn't. :rolleyes:

Can only launch on about 4psi. there with Q.T. Pros. :mad:

About 425RWHP car.

im not sure if the line lock will help my problem cause i havent done any burn out..im on fresh soft pads on the front and rear and i can only hold 0psi with the ebrake helping,so im thinking there must be something wrong with my rear brakes. its crazy hearing salvagev6 saying he was able to hold 8-10 when i cant hold 1. i guess ill be heading to the wrecking yard this weekend looking for an s-10

im not sure if the line lock will help my problem cause i havent done any burn out..im on fresh soft pads on the front and rear and i can only hold 0psi with the ebrake helping,so im thinking there must be something wrong with my rear brakes. its crazy hearing salvagev6 saying he was able to hold 8-10 when i cant hold 1. i guess ill be heading to the wrecking yard this weekend looking for an s-10

Another trick is to put all long shoes in the back. You Buy two sets of rear brake pads and return the 4 short shoes as a "core return".

If you can't hold boost with new cold brakes, likely something is wrong in the adjustment.

are the rear shoes properly adjusted?
when i went to the track, i was launching with about 7 psi on my stock setup with crappy cheap Fuzion tires.

I use all the tricks mentioned in this thread (S10 wheel cylinders, 4 long shoes, adjusting them to optimum position, line lock).

I'm easilly able to hold 15# of boost against the brakes, with NO ebrake assist.

Now, with that said, of course my back tires can't handle a launch like that. 15# launch would require slicks.
My best day at the track on stock street tires is about a 3-5# launch (and hope they bite).
When I burn the crap out of my Firestone Firehawks, I'm able to launch at 5# and can pull 1.8 60' times. (line lock required for burnouts!)

i had my buddy do my brakes so im not sure if they are adjusted correctly and i do have an extra set of long shoes for the rear so ill try that this monday..ill update after i install the pads ( so the s10 cylinders are for the rear right?

Yes, S-10 rear brake cylinders on the rear.

I also can easily hold 15# of boost with the Powermaster brake setup, only change is the S-10 rear brakes cylinders, and a line lock for the burnout box.

Make certain that the brake system is completely free of air and that the rear shoes are properly adjusted.

So even with a footbrake burnout heating the rear shoes I'm able to hold 5lbs (creeping up on it even) at the line any problem.

Just a word of caution to people considering soft/long shoes and s10 cylinders. I used that setup on my old car which worked well enough at holding boost, but it also created a serious rearward brake bias. Trying to brake very hard was difficult without locking the rear wheels, which it did at anything remotely approaching a panic stop. I wouldn't do it again, I'm going the transbrake route this time around.

What is the 'correct procedure' for adjusting the rear brakes?
adjust the shoes until they are just starting to contact the drum as you turn it by hand.
then go do a few hard stops in reverse to allow the self adjusters to do their thing.
to keep them adjusted, make sure you always come to a complete stop using the brakes when backing up, and do a couple of hard stops in reverse from time to time.

Be aware that the s10 rear WC swap will hold more boost but will also lock up the rear tires during strret driven panic stops.

If you run large rear tires in back, like 275/60's, they are very hard to lock up in panic stops with puny 9.5" brakes, even with S10 cylinders and long shoes.

As stated earlier, I've got the S10 cylinders, and 4 large shoes. I do not suffer from and increased rear brake bias. No premature lockup on mine.

adjust the shoes until they are just starting to contact the drum as you turn it by hand.
then go do a few hard stops in reverse to allow the self adjusters to do their thing.
to keep them adjusted, make sure you always come to a complete stop using the brakes when backing up, and do a couple of hard stops in reverse from time to time.

Thanks.

Back