You can type here any text you want

Holy BackFires Batman!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BeanSS

SlickSquid
Hey guys I was out running my car this weekend and after driving it for about 30 minutes I parked and and before I could out...Shots were fired :eek:
Man I did a quick dive and roll Metal Gear Solid style and took for cover!!! haha

No but seriously why did it back fire? I don't have an exhaust on it right now (just got my Magnaflow universal catalyic this weekend ) So im getting that taken care of but could that be the reason?

I just had the carb rebuilt...the car did sit for some months before I got really running again (about 5 actually ) I put about 4 gallons of gas in the tank to burn it though...Im replacing the fuel filter this weekend and checking the spark plugs and wires? Maybe this will take care of it?:confused: I wanna get a handle on this because Im sure that's bad for the motor and uhmmm...I don't want to be known as "Uncle Buck" around the neighborhood! haha

Solid snake style:biggrin:

It could be your timing is off or you got your firing order wrong... do you have a timing gun?

No I don't have a timing gun...I haven't did the wires yet so I wouldn't know if it was wrong till this weekend (And it's supposed to rain here all week..ugghhh...)

And the backfire definitely came from the exhaust

I would start it up a few more times and if it keeps happening, check to see if your firing order is right. If you can afford it, id get a timing gun too($40 at AZ) and check your timing. But it could also be the fact that you have no exhaust:biggrin: Are your headers on at-least? and are the gaskets in good shape? Only other problem would be a blown head-gasket... but it would backfire constantly and mostly trough the carb.

I'm gonna bet the car is running slightly rich and the new converter got hot enough to ignite it. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Hey guys I ran the car yesterday evening for about 20 minutes....No back fire..I then ran it again this morning for about 10 driving around and making a few blocks before work...no back fire...

Flint and Charlie I don't even have a cat on my car....my exhaust is just the down pipe I got headers on there to...Im gonna run the tank dry and change the fuel filter and check my plugs and wires this weekend...I'll be sure to let you guys know the results thanks for the ideas so far!

Back