You can type here any text you want

Holy fuel pressure Batman!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Been doing a little reading on my EcoBoost engine, and come to find out the fuel pressure on these direct injection motors is over 2150 psi !!!!

WOW! Now see that's the kind of pressure we need for the alky systems.

Just taking a guess here. The pump is a belt driven plunger pump. Am I right?:p

Rick

Yep fuel pressure has to be higher than cylinder pressure or it won't flow

TurboBuRick said:

Rick

Most of the GDI (gasoline direct injection) fuel pumps that I have worked on are plunger pumps. They usually have a tappet that rides on a lobe on one of the camshafts in the head. Not sure a belt would last 150,000 miles driving one of those pumps!

When you are shooting fuel directly into the combustion chamber, you need to do a good job atomizing it, kinda like a diesel. High fuel pressure blowing through small holes in the injector does that.

I've always wanted to adapt a GDI system to a TR. They do wonders. My tiny 2.0L GDI turbo in my Sonata makes 274 HP bone stock with over 17 psi of boost on plain 87 octane. Other GDI turbo engines from Ford, BMW, TM, and others make similar numbers. Would be cool to make a GDI system for TR's.

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

Rick

Close.... I've read that it's a cam driven mechanical pump, single cylinder.

Ya, direct injection is definately the way to go on forced induction engines for everyday users.This ecoboost engine is a 10:1 motor, making 12# of boost on 87 octane with no knock. Apperently the theory on GDI is that being injected directly into the cylinder really cools the combustion chamber.

On my son's Cobalt SS one of the big HP improvements is a cam change that has a bigger lobe to bump up fuel pressure to allow for more boost . He's running boost at 25 psi now and wants more ,:D like father like son ! Sam

Back