homemade HA downpipe...

FYI, for guys looking to build there own down pipe-- I added up what i had in parts today...2- 90 deg.elbows, 5-45 deg. elbows and RJC flange as pictured earlier. The total came to $308.50 I still need to look into what it would cost to ceramic coat it, although at NAPA they have a ceramic type paint for $8.50 a can-- if I go the cheap way (I would like to do it once though, and be done)

Attachments

• downpipe pics 038.jpg
    downpipe pics 038.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 38
  • downpipe pics 039.jpg
    downpipe pics 039.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks. Mine didn't cost anywhere near the amount that an aftermarket one does but the time to make it fit the car with being able to get to plugs or removal was what took up so much. The flange machining was $50 and the piping was about $100 for all the little pieces. I could have gone with stainless and it would have cost more but only the piece that actually welded to the flange is stainless. The rest is mild steel. I will have to do the same thing when I build my 73 Vega with the hotair drivetrain I have ready for it.

Just curious if you've had problems with the mig welds cracking, or any thing you wish you had done different...

FYI, for guys looking to build there own downpipe-- I added up what i had in parts today...2- 90 deg.elbows, 5-45 deg. elbows and RJC flange as pictured earlier (now in my signature) The total came to $308.50 I still need to look into what it would cost to ceramic coat it, although at NAPA they have a ceramic type paint for $8.50 a can-- if I go the cheap way (I would like to do it once though, and be done)

FYI- I had to pay $850 to have an exhaust guy build mine and my flange( included in the $850) only cost me $50. These pipes really do the trick with a stock or TA33C turbo. With these two turbos a 3 inch integrated downpipe does not add anything since the outlet of the turbo is only two inches. Unfortunately, I do not the ability to weld and build exhausts. Sometimes you just have pay up. Take care-Brad

Never had a problem with cracking. When I used the torch to heat up the cast iron, I got it orange and then used the 7014 rod to tack it together and kept heating up the "flange". It all stuck together very well and didn't have to go over the welds again to seal any pinholes up. I should have made a jig as I had 5 other hotairs at the time and never thought I would have gotten rid of them. A list member owns the car as of Dec.05. If he reads this, maybe he could chime in and say if it has ever cracked. I wrapped the upper portion with header wrap to keep heat down near the A/C box. Bruce??? You out there and is she restored yet? :)

FYI- I had to pay $850 to have an exhaust guy build mine and my flange( included in the $850) only cost me $50. These pipes really do the trick with a stock or TA33C turbo. With these two turbos a 3 inch integrated downpipe does not add anything since the outlet of the turbo is only two inches. Unfortunately, I do not the ability to weld and build exhausts. Sometimes you just have pay up. Take care-Brad

I can see it getting pretty expensive-- If I added up my time fitting and redoing and fitting again it adds up--
If I were to build one out right for someone for the first time at an hourly rate-- yes, I could see it at $800,
I fortunatley work 4- 10's so I have Fri. usually to putter around in the shop and do what I'd like, thus it gives me ample time to do projects like this...:D

Never had a problem with cracking. When I used the torch to heat up the cast iron, I got it orange and then used the 7014 rod to tack it together and kept heating up the "flange". It all stuck together very well and didn't have to go over the welds again to seal any pinholes up. I should have made a jig as I had 5 other hotairs at the time and never thought I would have gotten rid of them. A list member owns the car as of Dec.05. If he reads this, maybe he could chime in and say if it has ever cracked. I wrapped the upper portion with header wrap to keep heat down near the A/C box. Bruce??? You out there and is she restored yet? :)
It's never cracked. Still rock solid. Out of my 7 turbo regals that car has the meanest sounding exhaust :D The car runs good Eric and I am on my second pair of slicks. She's sleeping now and waiting for spring. I made a 3" downpipe for my '85 T type. I paid $110 shipped for the flange that I got from Windmill and paid $118 for some t304 stainless pipes. I took them to work and welded them together. I cant stop laughing when I read how much someone would pay for their downpipe...it's bent metal...come on people.

This makes me happy to hear that she is still around. Glad you love the sound. I never wanted to put tail pipes on just because of the sound. People have told me that as it went down the track, they could not hear the tone, just the hiss of the TA-33. Inside the car all I heard was the deep tone. Glad to know she is still kickin'. :D :D :D :D

It's never cracked. Still rock solid. Out of my 7 turbo regals that car has the meanest sounding exhaust :D The car runs good Eric and I am on my second pair of slicks. She's sleeping now and waiting for spring. I made a 3" downpipe for my '85 T type. I paid $110 shipped for the flange that I got from Windmill and paid $118 for some t304 stainless pipes. I took them to work and welded them together. I cant stop laughing when I read how much someone would pay for their downpipe...it's bent metal...come on people.

Just a quick update- Sent downpipe to Performance Coating in Auburn, WA. for satin ceramic coating (good for 2000 deg.) will post pics when I get it back...

SWEET! I want to see how this turns out so when I get my Vega downpipe built, I can have it coated. :)

My estimate to have the downpipe coated...$72

a chart under the benefit data on there website gives the info as follows:
Exhaust gas temp...1530 deg.
Header surface temp...930 deg.
radiated heat (uncoated)...200 deg.
radiated heat (coated)...80 deg.

for $72 I'll take the 80 deg. temps!!!

WOW! That definitely sounds like a GREAT investment. I should have done that with my old one instead of the header wrap. Still worked but didn't like the way it looked under the hood.

Mark- Nice job on the downpipe. You should see nice performance increase since the 2 inch turbo elbow is gone. Take- care. Brad

I installed the downpipe yesterday- definitely noticed performance increase, turbo spools up nicely. My computer crashed last week...so I'll post pics when I get that reinstalled.

some new pics of ceramic coated (Satin Titanium) :)

Attachments

• downpipe 009- ceramic coated -web shot 009.jpg
    downpipe 009- ceramic coated -web shot 009.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 272
  • downpipe 011-web shot.jpg
    downpipe 011-web shot.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 305
  • downpipe pics 004-web.jpg
    downpipe pics 004-web.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 341