hood shocks

87gnstock

Bigger isn't better!
I just ordered some hood shocks from kirbans. I go to put them on my gn and they won't budge an inch. Cany anyone help me out?

Just remove old ones and have someone hold the hood up or brace it with a stool, then bolt on the new ones. The hood will go higher with the shocks out, allowing you to install the new ones. The weight of the hood will compress them, unless your superman, you won't budge them!

stock87

I replaced mine with OEM shocks from the dealer. The fat part is at the top. Someone else might have experience with the KIRBANS.

When you say won't budge an inch, do you mean you have already installed them and you can't get the hood to go down or are you saying you can't loosen the bolts?

You don't have a fiberglass hood by any chance do you?

Try just installing one of them and leaving one of the weaker old ones still in place.

It stands to reason that if the shocks won't compress they're either defective or it's a misapplication.

How much does an OEM hood weight, anyway? Somewhere between 50 and 75 pounds?

You should be able to take one of these shocks and compress with your body weight against the floor, if not their not the right ones or their defective.

Just don't try hanging on the end of the hood to try and get them to work!:) Obviously something is very wrong here.

Put The Old Ones Back On

:D And send the new ones back to Kirbans.Kind of a PITA but you know they will exchange them.They usually stand behind what they sell.

Mine went bad and wouldn't hold the hood up, so I went to Autozone and bought 2, I think they were 12 bucks apiece. It's a shame I had to change then because the ones on my GN were chromed.:( Tarey D.