Hooker Exhaust

NEWCHAPTER

Need Speed
Am looking at upgrading to the hooker exhaust. I was looking at Kirban's and Summit and was wondering why Kirban's was $100 more. Didnt see anything different in the description. Also should I also replace the cat with a low restrictive?thanks

I don't know why the difference in price. I got my system from Jegs and it came with a "test pipe" on could put in place of the cat if one were so inclined to do. ;)

I did the same thing.....couldn't see the difference. Got mine from Summit for about $280ish shipped if I recall correctly, came in 3 days after I ordered w/ regular UPS ground. Couldn't be happier with it.

Hooker uses chambered mufflers in their kits which turbos seem to hate. At the very least look at turbo mufflers versus the chambered type. Even better would be a straight-through muffler like Dynomax's UltraFlo series. My Hooker muffs will be dumped in favor of a straight-through design. I may even go the big bucks and get an ATR exhaust for the T.

Kirban's price is higher since he has to add his overhead and profit to it. Same kit. Aerochambers ARE chambered mufflers, but not like the Flowmaster. If you hold up an AC muffler, you can look right through it with the only obstruction being the offset of the inlet and outlet. I had ultraflows on my old TR and it was so loud I HATED it...gotta weigh the pros and cons of each type of muffler. So far I'm happy with my Hooker kit.

aerochambers?

I'm pretty sure on Summit or where ever you choose to buy the Hooker 2 1/2" exhaust system, you receive the Super Comp mufflers. Super Comps, from what i've heard, are a more straight through design and louder than the aerochambers which were previously offered with the system. Just my 2 cents, hope that helps

joe

I got my hooker setup from Jegs...it sounds great with the aerochambers and the testpipe...easy to install.. about two hours...269$

Another alternative are super turbo mufflers. They don't flow as well as UltraFlos, but they do out-flow Hooker mufflers and are quiet. All a matter of preference. Some people will sacrifice some power and spool-up time for a quieter muffler. I don't mind the "noise". We are talking about turbocharged V6s here, not non-turbo 13:1 big blocks. The turbo does a good job of muffling all on its own, IMHO. Buddy of mine runs no mufflers on his car, just 2.5" pipes all the way out the back. Whistles loudly, but not "noisey".

I looked at jegs and they have the super comps too like summit, so if I want to go with aerochambers i will have to go with kirban's . I just want to sound good too. I like the deep throaty sound. :cool:

Ok...do a search on this. It's been covered many many times. The majority of people to order the kit from Summit and Jegs have received the Aerochamber mufflers, not the Super Comps, even though the ad says Super Comps. I ordered my kit two months ago from Discount/Advance Auto Parts and received the AC's in the box with the kit, not as a separate package like they used to come.

Seems silly to pay an extra $100 for no reason.

My Hooker system from Jegs had supercomps and they were too quiet so I pulled em and installed Walker welded ultraflows(race magnums) and it definetly sounds better but still too quiet.. (no cat and a 3" dp too) BUT the ultraflows do sound MUCH better.

Anyone want to buy the like new Hooker supercomps for cheap??

The Supercomps are a baffled design, like most turbo mufflers. The Hooker MaxFlows are straight-thru construction and flow 595 cfm @ 28" while the Aerochambers flow 441 cfm at 28".

Originally posted by 87GN_70GS
The Supercomps are a baffled design, like most turbo mufflers. The Hooker MaxFlows are straight-thru construction and flow 595 cfm @ 28" while the Aerochambers flow 441 cfm at 28".

I'm running Maxflows in my older TR>. No problems, slight drone though.