You can type here any text you want

Hooking up on stock wheels

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dewey

Resident Smartass
Once I get my car put together I'll have a combo capable of mid 11s. With this in mind, can I expect to hook with a 235/60/15 drag radial like the MT or BFG? I'm trying to keep a stock/stealthy look. I have some old aluminum wheels that are 8.5 inches wide with a 4 inch backspace that I can get 295/50s on the car but trying to avoid using them if I can.

My car hooks on a set of 275/50/15 Nitto's....

But I have a feeling my next set of tires are gonna be MT DR's....

-Will

This is my setup: 275/60 15 M/T drag radials on 15x8 widened stock GN wheels. If you look closely at the wheels, you'll notice the difference- but most people don't :cool:

No problem hooking.....

Attachments

• DSCF1969.jpg
    DSCF1969.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 174
So-Cal GN, what do u have done to your rear suspension? i pertty much have the same problem, my set up should put me in the 11's, but i can't hook up. I know i can fit some good size drag radials, but my car is a daily driver and is lowered an inch. I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

Hotchkis boxed control arms, air bags, stock springs. No rub problems. Just make sure the backspacing is adequate to tuck the tire inside, or roll the inner lip of the fender.

On the street, I've occasionally had a problem hooking- but the DRs are at 28-30 PSI. If I know I want to play, then I'll lower the pressure to about 16-17 PSI, get them a bit hot, and see what mischief I can get into:D

On the track, I'm at 12-14 PSI. Get them hot and sticky, and go for the gusto.

HTH

I have 275/50-15s on my stock T rims, needed a .25" spacer to keep them off the frame, but they dont spin, i mean i have to really try to spin em. Have UMI uppers and lowers, with relocation brackets on the lowers. Also i have 275/60-15 on my cutlass, with over 500 crank tq, and they haze some, but hook in the 1.8s pretty easy, that has a 9" with boxed lowers only.

ITSNOTAGN, how do you like those relocation brackets? I am thinking of putting them on my GN, but i have a feeling that they just dont do that much.

i got 275 50's M/T'S and i run 17 psi in tires all the time and they hook i launch at 7 psi and leave a 6 inch patch without heating up. at the track i leave and 10 to 12 psi and they hook without heating up

Back