Hot Wire Upgrade

A couple of issues. Neoprene is only moderately resistant to gasoline, and RTV dissolves in gasoline. I can foresee the wire entry leaking in a short time.

Grommet would need to be Buna-n or viton to resist gasoline. And RTV can't be used as a sealant.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Exactly... Viton is the way to go. Teflon wire is the only type which will withstand gas and all the aggressive solvents put into it these days. Many types of wire will wick the fuel up their strands allowing vapors to exit the tank. Not only does the exit point have to be sealed but so does the wire. Seems like an awful lot of work to go through considering there are a few off-the-shelf solutions available at reasonable prices. The gas-tight bulkhead connector we use is vacuum impregnated with sealant, pressure tested and certified. Standard types of heat shrink tubing will turn to mush in gas.

I can see some people are hung up on this 10 gauge into a 14/16 gauge wire deal. Some people seem to think it is like putting a cork in a bottle but Ohm's law does not work that way. Once one is able to get an understanding of Ohm's law it will be very obvious why this is pretty much a waste of time from a performance standpoint. There is nothing wrong with DIY projects but just make sure you know what you are doing when fooling around with gas. There is no room to be semi-educated on this.

Please see this link for some info on some test I ran a while back:

The Racetronix BCA-G7X is an entire replacement harness and bulkhead connector assembly for the 1984-1987 Turbo Buick fuel sender assembly

Good luck with your project.

Jack :cool:

As stated earlier, you might want to completely rethink your installation! :eek:

You're using the wrong type wire/insulation, wrong type grommet and wrong sealant.

As stated earlier, you might want to completely rethink your installation! :eek:

You're using the wrong type wire/insulation, wrong type grommet and wrong sealant.

After searching google for about 2 hours I still cant find 10 gauge TXL wire. I havent dropped the tank yet but I'm going with Turbofabricators idea of using a nylon nut and bolt with a hole drilled in the center to run another nut and bolt that will connect the hot wire kit to the pump.

If anyone has any links they would like to share on getting the right wire please post it.

After searching google for about 2 hours I still cant find 10 gauge TXL wire. I havent dropped the tank yet but I'm going with Turbofabricators idea of using a nylon nut and bolt with a hole drilled in the center to run another nut and bolt that will connect the hot wire kit to the pump.

If anyone has any links they would like to share on getting the right wire please post it.

TXL wire is not for use in gas. It is oil and solvent resistant but can not be submersed in gas.