Hot Wire Upgrade

DailyDrifter

The Slow and the Curious
The reason I did this is because, I didn't like the fact that my current 10 gage fuel pump wire transfers into a stock sized 16 gage.

List of supplies:
10 gage wire
1 Female spade connector
Grommet
RTV
Drill
Drill bits
1 Case of Beer :D

1. To start, remove the sending unit from the tank.
2. Remove pump from sending unit.
3. Drill a hole in the top of the sending unit to pass the new 10 gage wire through.
4. Install grommet in the hole in the top of the sending unit, and pass the wire though it.
5. Strip end of 10 gage wire and install the female spade connector. I used the kind that has heat shrink tube on it.
6. Take the negative wire from the pump harness and remove it from the plastic clip that attaches it to the fuel pump.
7. Re-install fuel pump, and connect the new 10 gage wire and ground to the pump.
8. After pump is installed I used some RTV to seal up the area around the grommet and wire.
9. Re-install sending unit into tank, and install tank back to the car.
10. Connect the existing Hot Wire to the new wire going into tank.

Attachments

• Fuel hanger resize 002.jpg
    Fuel hanger resize 002.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,773
  • Fuel hanger caption 006.jpg
    Fuel hanger caption 006.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,748
  • Fuel hanger caption 009.jpg
    Fuel hanger caption 009.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,738
The reason I did this is because, I didn't like the fact that my current 10 gage fuel pump wire transfers into a stock sized 16 gage.

List of supplies:
10 gage wire
1 Female spade connector
Grommet
RTV
Drill
Drill bits
1 Case of Beer :D

1. To start, remove the sending unit from the tank.
2. Remove pump from sending unit.
3. Drill a hole in the top of the sending unit to pass the new 10 gage wire through.
4. Install grommet in the hole in the top of the sending unit, and pass the wire though it.
5. Strip end of 10 gage wire and install the female spade connector. I used the kind that has heat shrink tube on it.
6. Take the negative wire from the pump harness and remove it from the plastic clip that attaches it to the fuel pump.
7. Re-install fuel pump, and connect the new 10 gage wire and ground to the pump.
8. After pump is installed I used some RTV to seal up the area around the grommet and wire.
9. Re-install sending unit into tank, and install tank back to the car.
10. Connect the existing Hot Wire to the new wire going into tank.

Mine took more than a case of beer:confused: ;)

Huh?

6. Take the negative wire from the pump harness and remove it from the plastic clip that attaches it to the fuel pump I'm a bit confused on this point. Are you leaving this off and substituting the pump ground instead?

your rubber grommet better be made of neoprene or the gasoline will degrade it quickly.:D

Mine took more than a case of beer:confused: ;)
I didnt even go thru a whole case :biggrin: , but I already had the tank out

is this pointless without upgrading the ground?
I plan on upgrading the ground when I upgrade to a supra pump, which hopefully wont be to long from now. To me its pointless to have a 10 gage wire splice into a 16 gage wire, almost like pissing up a rope :rolleyes:

6. Take the negative wire from the pump harness and remove it from the plastic clip that attaches it to the fuel pump I'm a bit confused on this point. Are you leaving this off and substituting the pump ground instead?

I took the 2 wire plug (+,-) from the pump and removed the stock negative wire from it, and reused it.

I'm not sure what the grommet is made from, Doubt it's neoprene though. I will try to find some when I upgrade the pump.

What type of 10 ga. electrical wire??????

We're planning on doing a double-pump setup(we have all the materials except for the wiring) in the school shop as a "New Year start-off Project :cool: ", but I was unsure of what type of electrical wire to use???? What type(electrical wire) would be the BEST to use and were to buy?
THANKS

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! ;)

We're planning on doing a double-pump setup(we have all the materials except for the wiring) in the school shop as a "New Year start-off Project :cool: ", but I was unsure of what type of electrical wire to use???? What type(electrical wire) would be the BEST to use and were to buy?
THANKS

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! ;)

I got the wire at autozone. You want the strands to be fairly thin so theres more surface area for the electrons to flow through.

Why???

I got the wire at autozone. You want the strands to be fairly thin so theres more surface area for the electrons to flow through.
Thanks for the info.
So, no special type (coating on the wire) wire is needed for the "fuel" environment that the wire will be exposed to?? What about this "Neoprene" o-ring? Just wordering....if you need a "special" o-ring type---then---maybe a "special" wire is needed :confused: .
Thanks

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! :cool:

Thanks for the info.
So, no special type (coating on the wire) wire is needed for the "fuel" environment that the wire will be exposed to?? What about this "Neoprene" o-ring? Just wordering....if you need a "special" o-ring type---then---maybe a "special" wire is needed :confused: .
Thanks

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! :cool:

You might want to search for the neoprene grommet on the web. I'm pretty sure the wire is protected, but i'll post up if the car catches on fire because of this. :eek:

I just found a website that has them http://www.carparts.com/NEOPRENE-GROMMET-SETS/GP_2007743_N__10618.car

This is true. However you should research the insulation on the wire to be sure it is gasoline and oil resistant. If not, it may degrade over time and flake apart...resulting in a clogged fuel pump or worse---a short in the tank!!:eek: As an electrician for 14+ years I can tell you that different insulations are VERY important for different applications. HTH ---Keith

stoopid question

Where do u pick up the power from so I do not have to trace the wire back to source?? starts at _________ and ends at tank thanx

Where do u pick up the power from so I do not have to trace the wire back to source?? starts at _________ and ends at tank thanx

My car has the Hot-wire kit, It has a 10 gage wire near the drivers side of the tank. I just tapped into that. Look near your frame rail. Check on your drivers side fender for the relay

:

Lowes sells oil and Gasoline resistant wire in its electrical department that comes on cut to length spools.
That Auto Zone wire insulation is too soft IMO.

A couple of issues. Neoprene is only moderately resistant to gasoline, and RTV dissolves in gasoline. I can foresee the wire entry leaking in a short time.

Grommet would need to be Buna-n or viton to resist gasoline. And RTV can't be used as a sealant.

Check some of TurboFabricators threads on how he made through connections for fuel pump setups. A nylon bolt & nut drilled and partly tapped for a screw to pass through. Nifty setup.

RemoveBeforeFlight

i do believe they make an oil and gas resistant appoxy for that wire sealing problem you got.i got it at autozone.