You can type here any text you want

Houston down pipe

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jicaju

Jicaju
I posted earlier thread about HDP being to short. I made pictures and sent them to John at Johns Performance (where I purchased pipe) to show him the 2 inch gap between flange on dumppipe and flange on intermidiate pipe. Hanger where original cat was is completely vertical as it should be. He said every thing looked normal that he could see, so we exchanged measurment between another pipe he had in stock(the only one he had)and they measured the same. He said he had been putting these pipes on for 16 years and had never had this problem before. Maybe my car is just 2 inches longer than any other TTA! (ha ha) Both our dump pipes were also the same length. Just wondered if someone with a HDP that did not have this trouble could measure theirs and post the measudements for me. Dump pipe length 14 1/2 inches. Down pipe from end which slides into dump pipe to first weld at flex 9 inches. Flex length from weld to weld 10 inches. I plan on welding 2 inches on to dump pipe but I would just like to know if my WILL-FITT PART!!!!!!! is different or if my car just magically grew 2 inches longer. Thanks Jicaju

All I can say is that NO cars are the same. I had no issues with my THDP, and could install/remove it with no problems. But when I was to remove Daniel´s stock one it was pretty tight and not to mention the THDP install. He´s got issues with the DP hitting the frame.

So I´m not surprised...

/Andreas

Yes and this make me wonder if the newer cars like Trans Am 98-02 has this problems... It must be the mexican guys, they are not taking their work to serious lol. But 2 inches seems to be alot.

Andreas, didnt you have more problems to make my alky pump fit in my car than you had in your car also ?

Daniel

This brings up 2 interesting questions to me. A year or so back, maybe longer, there was a deal going around on the TB boards that Terry Houston was going to be out of circulation a while, from what I understand, a longggg while. I bought my thdp about 4 years ago from J. Cotton if I remember correctly and was informed at that time that Houston wasn't going to produce them any more. HHHMMM! Makes me wonder who is making these things now and where did they get the prints? Does anyone know anything about this stuff? This could be the reason the pipe is too short. Just speculation.

When I visited John Pearcy in Aug-04 he had a box full of THDP´s and he told me that they where true TH´s.

Well, like I said I tig welded a 2 inch section of stainless pipe to dump pipe. Now everything looks good. I'm in the construction business and I own several pieces of Caterpillar equipment. I've never had to much luck with WILL FITT PARTS!!!! for them either. There is not a very good level of quality control as you get with OEM parts.

Originally posted by 89ICBM
This brings up 2 interesting questions to me. A year or so back, maybe longer, there was a deal going around on the TB boards that Terry Houston was going to be out of circulation a while, from what I understand, a longggg while. I bought my thdp about 4 years ago from J. Cotton if I remember correctly and was informed at that time that Houston wasn't going to produce them any more. HHHMMM! Makes me wonder who is making these things now and where did they get the prints? Does anyone know anything about this stuff? This could be the reason the pipe is too short. Just speculation.

Frank, I thought/had heard the same thing until Andreas told me that John had some THDP:s.

Daniel

Back