how about some scoop on your combo's

Cal,

I would throw a larger cam in the car and try to rpm up and boost down a little bit. Are you going to run the liquid intercooler next year?

Originally posted by Quick86GN
F.A.S.T. Data, Boost Guage agree 20lbs, MSBC-1 set @ 22lbs

was just kidding
I believe you :)

your definatly flying .. thanks for posting ...gives some of us hope :)

Originally posted by Quick86GN
272 CID
Stage II on center
Solid roller cam
Stage II heads, Big Flow
10-1 compression
PT-90 something turbo, 5" downpipe
Liquid to Air Intercooler
Converted 4bbl intake
TH-400, 10" convertor 3500 stall w/ VSC
ford 9" with 3.73 gears
Fast Sequential with wide band o2
160# injectors
3150# with driver
8.301 @ 167.82mph
10.5 tire
20 lb Boost

Dale,

Are you going to be coming out to play any time soon?

Originally posted by John Wilde
Cal,

I would throw a larger cam in the car and try to rpm up and boost down a little bit. Are you going to run the liquid intercooler next year?

I originally put the little cam in and the higher compression to get the car spooled quickly on those .400 HU trees. Not going to switch to a liquid intercooler. Instead, I have been playing with running the car on alcohol, unfortunatly, I need bigger injectors.

Originally posted by Ted A.
Something to be learned here everbody.

In one of the hotrod car mags, there were a few statements by Austin Coil. They were concerning how in top fuel there are two tuning strategies, on low compression high boost and the other high compression, low boost. The specs were something like 6.5CR at 45 PSI, and the other 7.5 at 35 PSI. Both were winning combos. Now there's a guy it'd be fun spending an afternoon talking to.

Originally posted by HighPSI
274 ci on-center
234/224 solid roller
GN-1R heads
9.5:1 compression
PT 88 Turbo
TH400 trans
stock rear w/3.42 and 33 spline
FAST w/all the bells & whistles
28X10.5's
3370# w/driver
8.57@159+

If I did it over, I would put bigger/better headers (running off the shelf ATR headers, now) and a better convertor (currently 18%+ slip!)

Cal, what all have you done to your stock 8.5 to make it hold up?

I originally put the little cam in and the higher compression to get the car spooled quickly on those .400 HU trees. Not going to switch to a liquid intercooler. Instead, I have been playing with running the car on alcohol, unfortunatly, I need bigger injectors.

Can you run additional injectors with the new fast?

240" stage II on center
3.875" bore
3.4" stroke
GN1 heads
stock intake
236 solid roller
Limit 76GTQ
400 turbo
Gen 7 dfi
best et 10.05 with 1.51 60'
best mph 145
3475 pounds

I wont be getting to the track again this year, But i just installed a 76GTS turbo and am taking the car out tomorrow to see how it spools
Should be worth a few more mph

Cal: With duty cycle running in the 90's at top end, do you think a second set of 160#'s on a timer or on/off would provide enough alcohol. I also considered the alcohol route but was a little discouraged with the lack of fuel supply with the 160#'s. I had thought about a direct nozzle approach to the base of the inlet plenum. Two 2025's and a much bigger fuel cell. Would you totally eliminate the intercooler and run a "hot air" system?

A few years ago I saw a small block chevy with a tec III running 160 lb/hr injectors on top of a kinsler direct drive mechanical pump and port injectors, running on methanol with a big thumper turbo and no intercooler. Builder said that with methanol the intercooler really didn't help. He ran a 7.8 at 175 or so in an old Barracuca body. The 160's by themselves weren't nearly big enough so the bulk of the methanol flow came through the kinsler setup, with the tec III letting him tune electronically. Neat hybrid setup.

. . .
stock rear w/3.42 and 33 spline
. . .

What brand gears are you running? Have you had any problems braking them?

I thought they were stock, but Louis Lopez is telling me I swapped in a set of Richmond gears a few years ago. I can't remember (getting old!).

1.274 S2 on center 9:1

2. 232/232 solid roller

3. GN1R with CAS sheetmetal intake

4. 3-bolt PT&E 88

5. TH400 4000 stall AC

6. 9.01@153 and 27 psi

7. 3380#

Still lots of bugs left to work out but getting close. I may put the motor on an engine dyno this winter to find the rest. Chassis dyno didn't work out so well.

Cal, I would love to talk to you about the new FAST system before I commit to something else. I need a seq w/ind cyl control and will be upgrading this winter to a new system.

John, how did the 16 volt conversion workout? Has anyone else considered this?
Chris Lyons

Give me a call Chris. I too have a 16 volt system on my car. When driving on the street, I have the alternator putting out nearly 18 volts!!