How difficult is it replace heater core?

Fine86GN

Hey Turbo brothers,

I know its very labor intensive but how difficult is it to replace the heater core? How many hours? 86 GN with 34K. Antifreeze leaking behind right front wheel after 10 mile drive then when I got home it was leaking out radiator. Figured core was corroded from past 2 owners that only drove it a combined 4,500 miles. Appreciate your advise. Also, should I buy service manual before I begin?

Thank you,

Mike

Heater core? IF you take your time it would probably take at least 1 or 2 hours. :eek: It really is easy on these cars. You just take the top of the ac/heater box off and it pretty much slides right out.

I just did mine last month. Take your time taking it apart. Make sure you get all the screws out before you go prying the cover off. It took me about 1 hour to get apart and 2 to put it back together. Do a search on heater core on this site and there is a link with pictures that is a real help. It was not bad but I would not want to do it again. Pain in the ass. Good luck. D

Here's a good free writeup for how to do it.

Heater Core Replacement

A service manual may help and is always a good investment. :)

You just have to make sure you get all the screws out or the cover won't come off. Some are hidden rather well.

Took me 3 hours being sort of slow and methodical in early Dec. weather.

Resealing and cleaning out the old factory caulk takes some time.

Not a bad job for the DIY'er. :smile:

Consider new heater core hoses if they are the originals, mine were vulcanized to the core inlet and outlet. :eek: :rolleyes:

Here's a good free writeup for how to do it.

Heater Core Replacement

Yep, I just recently did it. That procedure is excellent and all you need with one exception...

Step 12 references (4)-10mm screws and (2)-1/4" screws..
In reality, there are (11)-1/4" screws along with the (4)-10mm's.
You'll find some of the screws are buried under that caulk, and you'll have to do a little digging to get to them.

Here's a thread of a few questions I had while doing it... worth reading...:
GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums - Help with heater core replacement!!

Also, I had a hard time finding the factory type sealant/caulk used around the top of the a/c box when re-assembling. Some just use permatex, but in my opinion, that would have made a giant mess and probably wouldn't have worked when I tried to put the top of the a/c box back on. Believe me, it doesn't 'just sit rite back' on there.... it's a bitch and requires about 5 tries, angling, weaseling, etc. to get the 'procedure' down to get it back in there. I finally found the 'elephant dung' sealant that is just like the original stuff. It's made by Metco - Softseal, for putting windshields back in, and comes in a 'roll' of tar-like rope. I found it at Autozone in the body repair section... like $15, but well worth it IMO.

It's not that 'hard', per se, but I damn sure couldn't do it in 2-3 hours.... more like 5-6 with fighting that damn box, cleaning, wrestling hoses, etc. I got my core at Advance Auto for like $20 or less, and it was brass and identical to the original..... good luck!! HTH!!

Where is it leaking?
Are you certain it's coming from heater core? They usually leak inside the car.

Re: How difficult is it to replace heater core?

Thank you all for responding to my heater core question:) Appreciate you all sharing your experience with me.

Scottyb - antifreeze was leaking from the the plastic gaurd directly behind the right front wheel - (which is below the vicinity of the heater core). This car has been garaged a long time by previous owners. From what I understand, if the core really is corroded and plugged and gets really hot, it can overllow into the interior. I got lucky when mine gave me a hint that there was a problem I guess. I still try to drive it a mile or two each week.

Thank you again,

Mike.

Good info there. Im about to help a friend with his. Post us back later and let us know how you make out.