You can type here any text you want

How do I hook up a thermal control on an electric fan?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FlintBuick4Life

Can I hook up a thermal controlled electric fan on a 79 3.8 N/A engine? I want to take the big loud engine fan off. I have an electric fan mounted on the radiator and its connected to a manual switch in the car, but I don`t want to have watch the tempo gauge all the time. Its winter time in Michigan so I should be fine, but just in-case... how would I connect an electric fan to the engine block?

There are several ways to do this. Get a temp controler that goes in place of the temp sensor and hope that it works right. I tried this many years ago and decided that keeping an eye on the temp sensor was the only solution.

There are several ways to do this. Get a temp controler that goes in place of the temp sensor and hope that it works right. I tried this many years ago and decided that keeping an eye on the temp sensor was the only solution.

I just seen some on Auto Zone... tons of wiring and fusing... looks like a lot of F`n work for a fan lol Maybe when I get the new engine in ill worry about that BS :biggrin:

Well, think I might have found one of my problems with no heater and high engine temps...

http://img8.imageshack.us/i/1000711r.jpg/

My thermostat melted and broke... I know how it happened, when I was in FL last summer, one of the electric fan straps poked a big hole in my radiator and I kept driving till my temp gauge went so high up past its top temp(witch was 280!) that it got jammed in its own framing of the gauge and smoke came blasting out from the hood... it was raining so I had no idea it was the radiator and spent about $20 on coolant before I stopped at a shop and had them look at it... after I paid $300 for a new aluminum radiator!!! I was on my way... never even crossed my mind to check the thermostat. Drove it from FL, all they way back to MI and drove it all summer, fall and now winter with this in my intake:biggrin:

That's not melted that's corroded. I haven't seen one that bad in a long time.

That's not melted that's corroded. I haven't seen one that bad in a long time.

Now that I think about it... my uncle and I rebuilt the motor in 2000 and since then, I don`t recall ever seeing him replace to thermostat! That cheap bastard:biggrin:

I changed it last spring in FL before I got on the road back to MI and of-course it was changed after I emptied my coolant all-over I-75 in northern FL, when the radiator broke:mad: I should have replaced the thermostat when I changed the coolant down there... live and learn I guess:biggrin:

Back