How do I make dowloaded movie clips smaller? - HELP

TurboDiverArt

The Guru Thorn
Hi All,

I finally got around to downloading some video clips from the video camera of FUR making some passes. The camera is a Sony Hi-8 and I'm using "Studio 8" from Pinnacle. I've got 2 problems.

1). I don't get sound added to the AVI. I can hear the sound through the video camera when I'm recording but not in the AVI. I'm connecting the camera to the capture board through an S-video cable.

2). How can I make them smaller? I recorded them on the lowest resolution setting but the video is still about a meg per second. I don't seem to have control over the format so it records as an AVI.

Anyone else using Studio 8? I can't seem to find the manual but I've been all over the software and can't seem to find anything. I don't know if there is shareware software available that can reduce the resolution some more to make the files smaller or maybe convert them to MPEG.

Thanks for any help!

the s-video cable is for, well, video. if you want sound, plug the audio cable in too. im not familar with studio8 but is there any kind of "distribution", "final", "output" options? something like that that will render the video in whatever format you like?

you might download ulead's videostudio7. thats what i use. you can capture/save the video in avi, mpeg, windows media, and others i think. anyway, its a 30 day trial version but its fully featured. the only things missing are the abundant filters and effects. you just get a few in the trial. but its enough for most things i would think. www.ulead.com

Originally posted by Turbo Brian
the s-video cable is for, well, video. if you want sound, plug the audio cable in too. im not familar with studio8 but is there any kind of "distribution", "final", "output" options? something like that that will render the video in whatever format you like?

you might download ulead's videostudio7. thats what i use. you can capture/save the video in avi, mpeg, windows media, and others i think. anyway, its a 30 day trial version but its fully featured. the only things missing are the abundant filters and effects. you just get a few in the trial. but its enough for most things i would think. www.ulead.com
Duhh! Honestly I did think about that but looking at the S-video cable there is the outside connector and at least 4-5 connectors in the middle so I just sort of assumed that they were for video as well as left-right stereo.

I'll give it a try, makes sense! I know I'm doing something wrong in Studio-8. If I can find out where my wife "cleaned up" the instruction manual to I'm sure I can figure it out. I think it's something about creating a project and adding the video to it and then saving it out.

Thanks for the input. I'll try to solve the sound problem then I'll try and tackle the video format problem.

if you cant find your manual and the cable/connectors are color coded, red and white are typically your audio cables and yellow is video.

yes, project sounds like a step in the right direction. start a project and then there may be a finish project or something like that available to you afterwards. good luck.

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
Duhh! Honestly I did think about that but looking at the S-video cable there is the outside connector and at least 4-5 connectors in the middle so I just sort of assumed that they were for video as well as left-right stereo.

I'll give it a try, makes sense! I know I'm doing something wrong in Studio-8. If I can find out where my wife "cleaned up" the instruction manual to I'm sure I can figure it out. I think it's something about creating a project and adding the video to it and then saving it out.

Thanks for the input. I'll try to solve the sound problem then I'll try and tackle the video format problem.

S-video is just that, video. R,G,B, luminance and I think v-sync. Audio is red/white RCA's

I personally just use red/white/yellow. (Left, right, video). I dont need the higher quality video of s-video for the web.

If you running XP windows movie maker will take avi and make .wmv that are considerably smaller.

Sully

And then there is DivX. I haven't had the time to get it figgered out, but at http://www.divx.com there is a file available for download called Dr. DivX that's makes things easy.

DivX Codec makes the smallest files with the highest quality amongst the movie formats. It just doesn't have the advertising behind it to become a web-standard.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Scott231
And then there is DivX. I haven't had the time to get it figgered out, but at http://www.divx.com there is a file available for download called Dr. DivX that's makes things easy.

DivX Codec makes the smallest files with the highest quality amongst the movie formats. It just doesn't have the advertising behind it to become a web-standard.:rolleyes:
Thanks Scott. I'm sure if it's good Billy Gates will buy it up either to make it a standard, hush it up and hide it or just because it pisses him off!

I'll give it a try.